iPhone X facial ID - good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Since when do you keep your phone in your pocket??
    The last 5 years or so. I don't turn it on, but it's there in case i need it.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Horrible idea.

It means that there is a database of all the user's faces. Or rather, their hash files.

The first principle of privacy is to not collect such data. It can never be realiably protected.

Apple has state of art security for sure, but it does not mean a bunch of future who evers can come and steal the data. Foreign governments, hacktivists, terror groups, criminals. It's all open once it is collected. I use the fingerprint and think it's pretty awful. Facial recgonition? Will never ever use it. That is the line.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's better than fingerprint ... since then they just hack off your finger. If they hack off your head that will suck, but you won't have to worry about it happening to you again. You could lose several fingers to iPhone muggers ...

Comment

Well, a smartphone that demands facials each time you want it to work for you definitely doesn't sound like a good idea
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

There aren't going to be any perfect ways to secure your phone from intrusion. I think the best you can manage is to have a basic level of security to ward off lazy criminals and then a way to remotely wipe your phone if you lose it.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, Apple has certainly succeeded in getting people to blather endlessly about their new product, so it's clearly a great idea.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

If any mugger wants to take a phone from THIS CRIP he will be NEEDING to carry my head away, because that's the only way he would get it.
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

My old Moto X had the capability of face-unlocking. I tried it for a while but eventually turned it off because I was never using it.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                    If any mugger wants to take a phone from THIS CRIP he will be NEEDING to carry my head away, because that's the only way he would get it.
                    Do you keep your phone in your mouth? That's unsanitary.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

lol. I was referring to Aeson's poast. Guess I should have been moar clear but I have had a few drinks to celebrate my recent victory and there will be a few moar in the near future.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        My metal HTC is in my pocket without a case all the time and is doing fine.
                        From now on it is going to be metal phones for me. I bought the LG K20 plus because the specs were pretty good, the write ups were strong for the money, so it seemed like the sweet spot. I am done buying expensive phones and from now on it will be phones $300 or less. It seems the build quality just isn't that robust with the LG K20 Plus as the first one I had also had an issue with the charging port also burning out.

I had to go round and round with my career to replace it as it was clearly a design flaw. They kept saying ir was my fault because I had it plugged into the charger for more than one hour. I kept demanding they show me where in the owners manual it said not to charge it longer then one hour. The local franchisee hemmed and hawed, I filed a complaint with corporate, and eventually they gave me a replacement just to get rid of me. Then a few weeks later the screen on the new one broke in my pocket which was completely empty.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A phone made of glass? Is such a thing even possible?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Thin glass screen with a thin plastic case. Not a very good combination.
                            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Working...
                            X