iPhone X facial ID - good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone X facial ID - good idea?

Dunno if ya read 'bout it. Apart from the 999 US bucks (IIRC) for the new toy (which I certainly would *not* buy) I'm wondering about the facial recognition thingy.

Imagine some bad guys threaten a guy on the street to steal his phone, and once he gives it out to save himself they just can get it unlocked by pointing it towards the victim??? With a good old number for activation they'd have to threaten to do unspeakable things to him at least to get the number too!

Edit: Oh yeah, an the fingerprint sensor also has downsides. How do you hide your fingers from thiefs?
    Blah

Well is the face you make when it's been too long since you've checked your Twitter feed the same as the face you make when you're being held at knifepoint?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Hm, I guess no, but if it doesn't ID some more than the usual face you make it will not be very comfortable to use anyway. Imagine you always have to replicate exactly the same facial expression ...

(Seriously: I have no idea how good the facial ID is working with this)
      Blah

Comment

Well, but what if you close one eye and stick your tongue out? It's probably not going to recognize that. Then we're back to the old situation of the mugger doing unspeakable things to you.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

OK, sounds like a plan. Also it's not particularly more difficult for muggers then, but you can have fun before things turn ugly (by making faces). Another selling point for Apple...
          Blah

Comment

You need the phone to recognize two different expressions. One that's for normal use, and then a panic one that allows the phone to work for 10 minutes only and notifies the authorities.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We will have to train law enforcement and anti-terror troops to avoid head shots.....
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

No, it is not a good idea. In the US passwords are legally protected but finger prints or biometric scans are not.
                Last edited by Dinner; September 13, 2017, 18:48.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  No, it is not a food idea.
                  You just can't help yourself.

Comment

Oerdin loves to eat moar than any other human on the planet.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

You'd probably be screwed if there were any decent selfies on the phone. Any minute, someone's surely going to release some teh haxxor app for that just because they can, or at least to spite Apple...
                      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

You just can't help yourself.
                        No, the screen on this phone cracked so now it mistypes stuff due to the broken glass. I bought this LG K20 plus on the 24th of Aug to replace my previous LG K20 Plus I had owned for three months which also had its screen break in record time. The first broke because I dropped 2.5 feet while getting the keys out of my pocket while this one broke simply because I had it in my front pocket while sitting in my car. The phone is super thin but it has a plastic body instead of the metal body of the higher end phones and it seems the plastic flexes enough for the glass to break.

I think this will be the last LG I ever buy.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The glass on my samsung has broken three time flexing in my pocket
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Since when do you keep your phone in your pocket??
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

My metal HTC is in my pocket without a case all the time and is doing fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X