what should i be doing right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should i be doing right now

Okay so like I've had my fancy new astronomy job for six weeks now and the primary benefit besides the fact that it pays decently and I'm using my degree and the commute is easy and I listen to scientists discuss their research everyday is that I get out of work at 4:30 pm (or whenever, actually, because I'm salaried and just have to put in 40 hours per week and no one seems to care what my schedule is) and theoretically I then have a boatload of free time in the evening to actually, like, you know, live my ****ing life, as opposed to what I was doing for the last five years where I was certainly living a life but it was composed almost entirely of going to work and school all day and not leaving me any time for, hey I'm not using this term ironically, extracurricular activities, but instead of any of that I mostly just come home and stare at the internet for several hours and then eventually go to bed and I really don't want to be doing that because I'm going to die in like 40 or 50 years and if all I do is go to work, come home, wait until I go to sleep, and then wait for several decades more before I sleep forever (so poetic!) what's the ****ing point **** I can't really extend this run on sentence anymore without ranging into egregiously ungrammatical territory I think I'm going to put a period here.

But like, yeah. What am I supposed to do when I get out of work to prevent myself from making more ****ty threads like this?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

You said you liked gaming. Work on building up a group and getting folks together to play games every now and then. That's what I did. Now I have a regular group that gets together and we play games. Go out! Go for a walk around the campus. Walk into a bar you've never been into. Go explore!

If you want to make it like a game make a list of 20 activities that involve getting out of your house, and roll a d-20 and go do that for a night.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Except I actually like sitting in front of my computer all day.
      Last edited by The Mad Monk; August 29, 2017, 07:55.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I would probably read some more. Eventually I might get inspired to try writing my own stories.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'd go to the gym.

Many times I said, **** it's all been taken care of there's nothing to do.

So... if there's nothing to do, let's drink!

A A

bad answer.

Doing something physical, for me, was a revelation because I never was much for sports. I'm 1.86 meters and was always normal weight.
          Lat years I gained some4 or 6 kilos.
          Also a doctor told me that if you want to live to your old age you (all of us) need to walk lively, at a lively pace, for an hour a day.

There was no way I could do that. I go everywhere with the car.

So the gym was and is a great outlet.
          Ask your doctor if it's ok with you taking anti-depressesants (do you really need them?) and doing excercise.

Exercise helped me in quiting smoking because it helped me decisively to keep the weight down to normal, it kicks in endorphines which are naturally pleasure-inducing substances and it just kind of clears the mind.
          it also kills time

I'd definitely recomment it.

Comment

Use your planning skills and plan activities where you might actually meet women. Let things happen from there.

Maybe a cooking class.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Or, if you can't bring yourself to be social, WRITE! Find a way to follow that old axiom about plunking your butt down to write something, anything, for half an hour (or fifteen minutes, or whatever) every day. Creative work of any kind is a proven balm against feelings of frustration and meaninglessness. You'll feel productive even if nobody else ever reads it.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Instead I'm reading over old chat logs from 13 years ago. There was one conversation in particular I was looking for. I found it. It's great.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm telling you, man, look into the Pluto-Saturn connection...you'll be famous

Comment

Put away 20% of your earnings into long term savings. Other than that always be there doing work so that they know you love it and can't get enough.

After that get a hobby, join and adult coed sports team, and trying to meet a young lady. Maybe you will get to pound some *****.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you really want to be famous, add plasma physics to your cosmology models. There are galactic scale currents and I believe there are intergalactic scale currents as well.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Have you ever considered LARPing? I forget where you are specifically, but I can very highly recommend the Dystopia Rising community.
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I play D&D (and occasionally other pen and papers), but I've never gotten into LARPing. I'm in Maryland.

Comment

For more videos like this check out the Jash channel on go90! http://apple.co/1TmhDq5Losing weight and getting fit has never been easier! Shed those unwanted...

Comment

What ever you do, do not do more work! Play games, exercise, binge on series, read, find yourself a relationship if you aren't in one. Just enjoy the free time. Pick up crafts, or new hobbies. Seriously, free time is a luxury, use it all up! Or don't... but this is your last chance to do stuff you really like. Or find the stuff you would like. Just don't work more than you have to.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X