Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cheap would commercial spaceflight have to be before Flat Eartherism died out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flat Earthers surely have a lot in common with Young Earth Creationists
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
      Just looked a little bit around in their Forums ... they really have a big similarity with Kid and his Trumpism (or Ben sometimes) ... especially when it comes to how they try to dodge any uncomfortable questions that they cannot explain with their flat earth model.
      For example when they are asked about providing mathematical formulae that allow to predict solar clipses on a flat earth

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...?topic=63176.0
      They seem to be missing that predictions about eclipses aren't just about when they will occur, but what the nature of those eclipses will be. Shadows on a flat surface and shadows on a curved surface look distinctly different, and unlike other things which NASA might be able to (read: could not) fake, eclipses are completely public.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

They would probably claim the math is fake too.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Just looked a little bit around in their Forums ... they really have a big similarity with Kid and his Trumpism (or Ben sometimes) ... especially when it comes to how they try to dodge any uncomfortable questions that they cannot explain with their flat earth model
          Not a flat earther, not a YEC either... not sure why I get lumped in with them.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Not a flat earther, not a YEC either... not sure why I get lumped in with them.
            You aren't and I didn't claim you are
            Nevertheless sometimes, just as Kid with his Trumpism, you remind me of them ... for example when you defend your idea that catholics are persecuted in the USA, or that gay marriage would affect heterosexual marriages
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Definitive proof the Earth is not flat:

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                Just looked a little bit around in their Forums ... they really have a big similarity with Kid and his Trumpism (or Ben sometimes) ... especially when it comes to how they try to dodge any uncomfortable questions that they cannot explain with their flat earth model.
                For example when they are asked about providing mathematical formulae that allow to predict solar clipses on a flat earth

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...?topic=63176.0
                There have been worse constructions...

(credit to Loinburger)
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Indeed. Are those circles on the left? Terrible.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Clearly not to scale either.

Comment

Could be a logarithmic scale, if the Titius-Bode law were really true.

Comment

Just shut up and watch Saturn.

Comment

Currently looking at spectra of Uranus' moons.

Comment

hur hur uranus

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                              An actual space elevator is much more likely to be a passive cable made from really strong materials. While an active attack to cut it down would result in a lot of damage to the ground, I don't think it would be as bad as in the anime. Anything above the break point, would be slung out into space. Half the remaining stuff (I posit would be made of carbon nanotubes) would probably burn up in the atmosphere before striking the earth. The remaining stuff would cause quite a bit of devastation, but only in a very narrow, though wandering, path.
                              In the anime, the actual cable (or whatever) wasn't shot through but was damaged, and they had to shed the external shielding to reduce the strain.

Comment

nt

Comment

Working...
                                X