Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cheap would commercial spaceflight have to be before Flat Eartherism died out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cheap would commercial spaceflight have to be before Flat Eartherism died out?

Would seeing the globe from space with their own eyes even be enough for a diehard believer?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Why would they be interested in disproving their own beliefs? What's in it for them?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Somehow, I think anyone that still believes it's flat would not be convinced by seeing it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Would seeing the globe from space with their own eyes even be enough for a diehard believer?
        We might win over the weakminded, but the diehard flat earthlings would still think they see a giant disc shaped flat display with animated clouds.
        Blah

Comment

They'd just stand outside the spaceport holding signs that say "God Hates Space Flight"
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Why would they be interested in disproving their own beliefs? What's in it for them?
            If you listen to flat earthers, their story is usually that they started out like the rest of us, believing the globe lie, and then came across evidence that got them thinking. Then they did their own research and came to the conclusion that the earth is flat. So for most flat earthers, they're really wedded to this narrative that they discovered the truth through science and reason and all that.

But beyond whether or not flat earthers would test their beliefs thusly, once spaceflight becomes trivially cheap, such that the cost is on the same order as skydiving or going to an amusement park, continued belief in a flat earth starts to get really, really weird. The equivalent right now would be, "What do you mean you don't believe in roller coasters?"
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

what's to stop them from thinking affordable space travel is an elaborate illusion scam they don't want to pay even a penny for?

Comment

Obviously they'd think the spaceliners are in on the conspiracy

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

If you listen to flat earthers, their story is usually that they started out like the rest of us, believing the globe lie, and then came across evidence that got them thinking. Then they did their own research and came to the conclusion that the earth is flat. So for most flat earthers, they're really wedded to this narrative that they discovered the truth through science and reason and all that.

But beyond whether or not flat earthers would test their beliefs thusly, once spaceflight becomes trivially cheap, such that the cost is on the same order as skydiving or going to an amusement park, continued belief in a flat earth starts to get really, really weird. The equivalent right now would be, "What do you mean you don't believe in roller coasters?"
                  It's really, really weird now, and I suspect that many FE types are essentially undiagnosed schizophrenics. The remainder are a combination of trolls and willful eccentrics who do not technically qualify as mentally ill because all their crazy is confined to things of no day-to-day import like the shape of the earth. The roller coaster is faked, and you don't go on the shuttle ride, that's how they get the chemicals in you. Or something.

A more interesting question would be how we made spaceflight trivially cheap.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Practice.

Comment

We build a space elevator.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Canada is too far north for a space elevator. We'll leave that to you.

As for the topic, almost all vaccinations are free in Canada, but, like the states, we have our anti-vaccers. So cost isn't the issue... like Elok said earlier they are essentially undiagnosed schizophrenics.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                          Obviously they'd think the spaceliners are in on the conspiracy
                          I agree ...
                          they already believe that the media material from the ISS (and other space stations), orbital flights as well as the moon landings is fake and part of the whole round earth conspiracy.
                          So what would stop them from believing that ay commercial spaceflights they are on are fake as welll (with CGI about a fake round earth being projected on all windows hey are looking through)
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The glass in the viewports of the spacecraft is designed to warp the view of the earth. Elon Musk can't fool me!

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post

We build a space elevator.
                              Space elevators have their own problems.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X