No announcement yet.

Social progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Canadian law also state that catholic churches don't have to fulfill any additional requirements in order to be eligible for receiving public funds?
    Catholic students in Canada are required to undergo the same standardized tests as every other school uses for their assessment.

After all the church is allowed to teach what they want, if they just forego any public funding (and instead be financed privately/by the catholic church)
    Again, the constitution requires that the government pay for Catholic schools in English Canada. I know this is different than Germany but it's a quirk of the Canadian constitution. It guaranteed schooling for religious minorities - Catholics in English Canada and Protestants in French Canada as part of the deal for Confederation.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

And one more time BK... the government isn't forcing the school to close, unlike what you keep implying.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why can't a Catholic school teach the bible? Isn't that the whole point of a Catholic school?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You keep moving the bar since you were WRONG when you made your claim that they were being shut down for teaching the Bible.
          They aren't, and that's a fact. All your misdirection and whining doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

You keep moving the bar since you were WRONG when you made your claim that they were being shut down for teaching the Bible.
            They aren't, and that's a fact. All your misdirection and whining doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.
            They are in fact being shut down for teaching the bible. As I predicted oh, about 12 or so years ago right here on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

They are in fact being shut down for teaching the bible. As I predicted oh, about 12 or so years ago right here on this site.
              One more time... If the school is shut down, It is the school's decision to shut down, not the governments. All your CLAIMS are simply wrong, no matter how many times you say them.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Aye ...it seems like they can keep on operating, if the catholic church (or private persons finance them (or if they adjust their teaching the wishes of the fund givers) ... so it is their decision to shut down their operation.
                And if, as you imply,Ben, they are unjustly kept away from state funding, they have the option to fight it in court.

The fact that they didn't decide to fight it in court lets me rather assume that your assertion is incorrect and that there is no legal base for giving said school the (amount of) public funding that they received without getting some influence in the things they teach
                (and I think you should ask yourself, Ben, why the catholic church itself doesn't step in and supply the school with the fund it needs ... it surely cannot be lack of money, considering how wealthy the catholic church is )
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

They can also find another school board. But BK never mentions that either. They have options, and if they close, it will be their decision, not the government as he keeps "claiming" incorrectly.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

I think Greece also allows gay couples adopting. It goes as usual by sidestepping the law.

That's ok though.
                    I'm in favor of that because kids need love. Pointe finale.

Comment

• I wonder if people thought they were making social progress back in Noah's day? ::shrug:: Oh well.

"As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away." ~Matthew 24:37-39

Comment

• Well, the Noah-Story fortunately has been so thoroughly debunked by science, that not even most christians think of it to be more that an fairy-tale (or some exaggerated account of a local flood in the area of some tribespeople)
                        Only exception are creationists/ID-people ... with other words, no people who should be taken serious on the intellectual field

Else one would have to explain why god also punishes anti-gay ativists via flooding:
                        https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-conservative

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• If the school is shut down, It is the school's decision to shut down, not the governments. All your CLAIMS are simply wrong, no matter how many times you say them.
                          Gosh. Threatening to shut the school down for teaching ALL of the bible, not just the parts you like is in fact shutting a school down for teaching the bible. Again, I predicted this all the way back in 2005 that this conflict would arise. Sure enough. It's not just enough 'to leave us alone', that was never the intent.

Comment

• They can also find another school board. But BK never mentions that either. They have options, and if they close, it will be their decision, not the government as he keeps "claiming" incorrectly.
                            Uh, no they actually can't. School boards here manage a particular area. And it's not like the government of Alberta is threatening shutting down some of the other boards as well... No siree.

Comment

• Aye ...it seems like they can keep on operating, if the catholic church (or private persons finance them (or if they adjust their teaching the wishes of the fund givers) ... so it is their decision to shut down their operation.

And if, as you imply,Ben, they are unjustly kept away from state funding, they have the option to fight it in court.
                              The deal made with the Catholic schools in English Canada was made in the Canadian constitution all the way back in 1865. The Alberta government cannot make unilateral changes to the federal constitution. Ergo, attempting to strip a Catholic school for teaching Catholicism from receiving the funds that they've been getting long before there even was an Alberta to speak of.

They are entitled to their funding.

The fact that they didn't decide to fight it in court lets me rather assume that your assertion is incorrect and that there is no legal base for giving said school the (amount of) public funding that they received without getting some influence in the things they teach
                              I know some of the particulars in the case, and yes it is being fought.

(and I think you should ask yourself, Ben, why the catholic church itself doesn't step in and supply the school with the fund it needs ... it surely cannot be lack of money, considering how wealthy the catholic church is
                              Why should we stand aside and let our rights be taken away? I find it interesting that you don't believe that the constitution should prevail when it says things that you don't like.

It tells me that you really don't believe in the constitution, whether it be the Canadian constitution or the German one. I would think that a German would be peculiarly concerned about upholding the German Constitution given your recent experiences...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

The deal made with the Catholic schools in English Canada was made in the Canadian constitution all the way back in 1865. The Alberta government cannot make unilateral changes to the federal constitution. Ergo, attempting to strip a Catholic school for teaching Catholicism from receiving the funds that they've been getting long before there even was an Alberta to speak of.

They are entitled to their funding.

Well, good then that I can give a little rest to your troubled mind.
                                I did a little googling on the case ... and the case (I guess you mean the case of the school in Camrose, Alberta) actually doesn't involve a catholic school but rather an evangelical one:

Cornerstone Christian Academy (CCA) in Kingman, Alberta, has been ordered by the Battle River School Division (BRSD) to refrain from reading or studying portions of the Bible that the board says might contravene Alberta’s human rights legislation.

The Christian school was incorporated in 1986 as a ministry of Cornerstone Evangelical Baptist Church.
                                https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pu...e-bible-passag

So, if the law/constitution actualy only grants catholic schools the freedom to teach whatever they want, this doesn't include said school, as it is an evangelical one

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                It tells me that you really don't believe in the constitution, whether it be the Canadian constitution or the German one. I would think that a German would be peculiarly concerned about upholding the German Constitution given your recent experiences...
                                Well, laws can be changed ... but at the moment I don't think the catholic church in geermany needs to worry ...
                                it still has the freedom fire lesbian kindergarteners at will, like in the one case somee year ago, where it was done despite the protests of the parents (of the kids at the kindergarten), as the kindergartnerer was well liked and trusted by them ...
                                it AFAIK also can still fire (or refuset hire) doctors and othe rmedial personnel based on their marital status (i.e. divorced is a no-go) orr secul orientation ...
                                and also still can open "Catholic Hospitals" that, despite bearing "Catholic" in their name (and having the Catholic church in total control of personnel politics) are financed almost totally by the german state (with german taxpayers money, regardless of taxpayers confession, marital status or sexual orientation)
                                Last edited by Proteus_MST; August 27, 2017, 15:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X