Fake News Reporting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a "flaming pants" smiley.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Climate change science is political. ...
      Climatology works according to scientific principles.
      That means, Climatologists, like other scientists, publish their findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals (there are also other journals without peer-review, but those usually don't play a big role in the scientific community ... as a scienist you will desire to publish your papers in a peer reviewed journal )
      That means, that your paper, before the journal publishes it, will be given to one or more other researchers in the same scientific fiels (you won't know to which ones, it is according to the jurisdiction of the journal (and they will take care that, for example, your paper won't be reviewed by colleagues at yourr own institute, but by researchrs in anothr institute, maybe even in another country)). These fellow researchers then will check up your paper from head to toe, for example whether the statistics/experimental results make sense, whether you used the right statistic methods (which actually can be a very important choice ), wether your chice of a control group (if applicable) makes sense and so on. (Ideally) Whether you included papers in this field which may have a connection with your papers results etc.
      Only if your paper passed this review process, it will actually be published by the journal (but you might be given a chance for corrrection, if the problems with your paper are not too glaring).

That means, ideally politics has a not so big influene on science, as the scientific community in each field consists of ots of individuals in lots of diffferent countries ... and the foul eggs (regarding scientific papers) are thrown out of the basket by means of the peer review process (although it is not 100% foolproof .. there was, for example, a certain young german particle physicist in the 90s, who managed to get bogus results through the peer review process (partially due to the laziness of the peer reviewrs), but he as well was finally caught (and stripped of his doctor grade) )

I would assume that the biggest attempts at influencing climatology, would come from industry itself (in order to not have to put expensive filters into their factories and/or adhere to environmental regultions). And actually, your current director of the EPA is such an example of a fighter against climate science, as he, before becoming director of the EPA, fought against the EPA on behalf of th coal and oil industry (now, that Trump has made him director of the EPA, his job has become much easier, as he can erode th EPA from the inside ... something he actually is busy with doing )
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Good news.
        After the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) was put in jeopardy after Trump left the trade treaty in Januar (making analysts suspect that the TPP wouldn't survive this), it now is right on track of getting a successor (with all 11 (of the former 12) TPP countries taking part and only the USA being left out).
        There are still some points to negotiate and the treaty has to be ratified by all 11 countries, but it seems like the successor to the TPP (called the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership) might likely become reality at the beginning of 2018

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/11/16637...ic-partnership
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Climatology works according to scientific principles.
          That means, Climatologists, like other scientists, publish their findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals (there are also other journals without peer-review, but those usually don't play a big role in the scientific community ... as a scienist you will desire to publish your papers in a peer reviewed journal )
          That means, that your paper, before the journal publishes it, will be given to one or more other researchers in the same scientific fiels (you won't know to which ones, it is according to the jurisdiction of the journal (and they will take care that, for example, your paper won't be reviewed by colleagues at yourr own institute, but by researchrs in anothr institute, maybe even in another country)). These fellow researchers then will check up your paper from head to toe, for example whether the statistics/experimental results make sense, whether you used the right statistic methods (which actually can be a very important choice ), wether your chice of a control group (if applicable) makes sense and so on. (Ideally) Whether you included papers in this field which may have a connection with your papers results etc.
          Only if your paper passed this review process, it will actually be published by the journal (but you might be given a chance for corrrection, if the problems with your paper are not too glaring).

That means, ideally politics has a not so big influene on science, as the scientific community in each field consists of ots of individuals in lots of diffferent countries ... and the foul eggs (regarding scientific papers) are thrown out of the basket by means of the peer review process (although it is not 100% foolproof .. there was, for example, a certain young german particle physicist in the 90s, who managed to get bogus results through the peer review process (partially due to the laziness of the peer reviewrs), but he as well was finally caught (and stripped of his doctor grade) )

I would assume that the biggest attempts at influencing climatology, would come from industry itself (in order to not have to put expensive filters into their factories and/or adhere to environmental regultions). And actually, your current director of the EPA is such an example of a fighter against climate science, as he, before becoming director of the EPA, fought against the EPA on behalf of th coal and oil industry (now, that Trump has made him director of the EPA, his job has become much easier, as he can erode th EPA from the inside ... something he actually is busy with doing )
          That's nice. ABC should also report on CNN being fake news. I'm waiting.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• The POTUS got China to release the basketball players. I don't see very much from the MSM about it. Only the WSJ and locals.

Comment

• "Russia's 'irrefutable evidence' of US help for Isis appears to be video game still"

The Russian defence ministry used social media to claim US connivance in Syria – using screenshot from AC-130 Gunship Simulator, online sleuths say

Should have taken screenies from Super Mario Kart instead
              Blah

Comment

• WOW, the pres was able to fix a shoplifting charge. Impressive.
                ABC national news picked it up and mentioned Trumps involvement. So not all liberal sources ignored it.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                  WOW, the pres was able to fix a shoplifting charge. Impressive.
                  ABC national news picked it up and mentioned Trumps involvement. So not all liberal sources ignored it.
                  It's more than Obama did in 8 years.

Comment

• You cite intervening for shoplifters like it is a good thing. Frankly, those idiots need to reap the consequences of their actions. Trump is just further enabling privilege (not really a surprise).
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Obviously you have no idea what China does to shoplifters and are assuming that you know things.

Comment

• Joe Scarborough (MSNBC): It's terrifying to think about the Trump DOJ investigating Hillary. That's what Stalin would do.

Comment

• Joe Scarborough must a liberal.

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
                            Joe Scarborough must a liberal.
                            He tries to act like he isn't but he can't pull it off

Comment

• Actually, Stalin would not investigate. He would just “Lock her up!”
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Yes, that's what totalitarian dictators do.

Comment

Working...
                                X