No announcement yet.

Fake News Reporting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a market researcher, that women working one seems to be a classic case of using a few stats to claim something when it really doesn't prove it. So I'll agree, fake news.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      And Jon, we are not officially at war with Russia so technically they are not an enemy defined by the constitution. So his dealing with them just make him an idiot and douche bag. That's why I'm hoping the money is what gets him. Money laundering or tax evasion. It's the cleanest way.
      So if we have an enemy who wishes to attack us or defeat us, but are not in a formal state of war (which we haven't been since WW2 or something) then it is impossible for the president to commit treason? Even if he aids that enemy in attacking us? It seems that this is a bit of nonsense, we can use treason when it is proper to use treason even if our legal/government system has evolved to make the word legally antiquated.

Especially in a founding document, we should look at what was meant by the word then and not the legal use now.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• We are technically still at war with North Korea.

In all fairness, if we are not at war with a country, it's well within the President to deal with these countries. Lessening the tension with Russia is not treason.
        We can call him a douche and not re-elect him but according to the Constitution, it's not treason. Some will bend the definition to say it MAY be. I'll leave that to judges and scholars.

There so many other things that he's suspected of doing that he can be prosecuted for eventually. If you're going to go after the Potus, you really should be standing on firm ground.
        To make fun of him, not so much
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Lessoning the tension with Russia is not what he is being accused of. He is being accused of passing off national secrets to Russia (compromising our national security) and of working with Russia to undermine our voting system and elections.

De facto, if he is guilty of the above, it is treason. Even if it was not a nation that we had had an adversarial relationship with for most of the last 100 years (which would make a nation a candidate for enemy, irregardless to the current legal definition).

Also, by the (current) legally strict definition of Obstruction of Justice it isn't even clear if he can do that (despite the fact that it was clear that former presidents could). But this is another point where I think that the current definition has gotten a bit far from the reasonable definition as reasonably obviously the President can Obstruct Justice, he isn't an emperor after all.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Julius and Ethel Rosenberg handed over nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union and that wasn't treason - it was espionage.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Yes, but legally the president can't commit espionage I think also.

Additionally, you could argue that nuclear secrets are not compromising our security or our democracy (in fact, many of those who gave nuclear secrets away including those not caught argued this). Some of the things Trump has been accused of you can't make that argument for.

JM
              (Note, I am not saying that Trump did everything he has been accused of, I have always found that pretty doubtful. However, some of the things that I formerly found unlikely now seems likely. And I do think there is a point where we can and should use the word treason, even if we are not there yet. To take that off the table entirely seems to make treason lose it's meaning as a word.)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

So if we have an enemy who wishes to attack us or defeat us, but are not in a formal state of war (which we haven't been since WW2 or something) then it is impossible for the president to commit treason? Even if he aids that enemy in attacking us? It seems that this is a bit of nonsense, we can use treason when it is proper to use treason even if our legal/government system has evolved to make the word legally antiquated.

Especially in a founding document, we should look at what was meant by the word then and not the legal use now.

JM
                What did the founders say about saying things that people don't like?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  Lessoning the tension with Russia is not what he is being accused of. He is being accused of passing off national secrets to Russia (compromising our national security) ...
                  AFAIK the problem is, that Donnie as PotUS has the power to declassify documents/informations.
                  i.e. his lawyers may construe it in a way that, because Donnie as PotUS told those secrets to the russians, they were automatically declassified (at least for the use by the russians)
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Isn't it only espionage if the information is provided without authorization?
                    Countries exchange sensitive information all the time.
                    One could argue that the president can give himself authorization considering he's in charge.

Again not saying it's not a douche move but is it technically espionage?

Let's nail him for technical crimes.
                    We know he's done them. so we just have to wait while it's proved. He had to have slipped up somewhere. On tape or a money trail.

x-post
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Is this ad (for the GOP governor candidate for FL) meant to be taken seriously?
                      Or is it a joke?

Donnie and his Trumpists have torn down the border between Satire and Reality so much, that I am totally not sure
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Proteus_MST
                        Proteus_MST commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Because it is totally devoid of any political content (like, what Mr. Desantis would like to do for his voters/Florida, when/if he gets elected).
                        Instead the whole/only content of the clip is, that we see how Mr. Desantis raises his son to become a fellow Trumpist as he himself seems to be.

I would have expected higher standards, even from Trumpists

• Kidlicious
                        Kidlicious commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Both candidates run as conservatives. That doesn't mean they are. So it's a competition to convince the voters which one is more loyal.

• Proteus_MST
                        Proteus_MST commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nevertheless I would have expected them to rather try to convince their voters with political programs (after all there can be differences in degree of conservativeness/ conservative actions they want to take) ... and not with displays of obedience to the cult leader. But perhaps I expected too much.

• Mueller didn't cross ethical lines. He was appointed to prosecute any wrongdoing he uncovers. You are so full of it, kid... Just like Ghoulanna.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Isn't it only espionage if the information is provided without authorization?
                        Countries exchange sensitive information all the time.
                        One could argue that the president can give himself authorization considering he's in charge.

Again not saying it's not a douche move but is it technically espionage?

Let's nail him for technical crimes.
                        We know he's done them. so we just have to wait while it's proved. He had to have slipped up somewhere. On tape or a money trail.

x-
                        I actually agree that it isn't technically espionage. That is why I am saying that all of these legal definitions miss the real definition of the word. I agree that high crimes would fit.

And I disagree about the technical crimes point because I sorta do understand the 'can not be indicted while in office' point. In the end, impeachment is the proper mechanism to hold the President accountable and treason and high crimes are just what are relevant. And I would argue that those are real definitions and not legal definitions as developed by government/legal practice over 200 years (where no president has engaged in blatant real treason and arguably no president has engaged in high crimes, and it is almost impossible to engage in treason because congress doesn't formally declare war although practically we have many wars).

Basically, it is Congress that tries for Treason and High Crimes and not Justice and so the practical definition of Treason should be used and not the narrow legal definition.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Can I call you guys alt-left now since you've gone past the impeachment thing and into trying to have the President executed for something that we don't know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            Can I call you guys alt-left now since you've gone past the impeachment thing and into trying to have the President executed for something that we don't know?
                            I'm against capital punishment. But Trump has broken the law and should be prosecuted for it. 20-30 years in prison would be suitable.

By the way, capital punishment is something you on the far right love. You want to execute minorities afyerall.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
                              Mueller didn't cross ethical lines. He was appointed to prosecute any wrongdoing he uncovers. You are so full of it, kid... Just like Ghoulanna.
                              I know you think it's ethical to investigate people because you hate them. But that's not ethical.

Comment

Working...
                              X