Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible twice as violent as the Koran.

'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals

An analysis into whether the Quran is more violent than the Bible found killing and destruction occur more frequently in the Christian texts than the Islamic.

Investigating whether the Quran really is more violent than its Judeo-Christian counterparts, software engineer Tom Anderson processed the text of the Holy books to find which contained the most violence.

In a blog post, Mr Anderson explains: "The project was inspired by the ongoing public debate around whether or not terrorism connected with Islamic fundamentalism reflects something inherently and distinctly violent about Islam compared to other major religions."

Using text analytics software he had developed, named Odin Text, he analysed both the New International Version of both the Old and New Testaments as well as an English-language version of the Quran from 1957.

It took just two minutes for his software to read and analyse the three books.
    Science.
    An analysis into whether the Quran is more violent than the Bible found killing and destruction occur more frequently in the Christian texts than the Islamic.  Investigating whether the Quran really is more violent than its Judeo-Christian counterparts, software engineer Tom Anderson processed the text of the Holy books to find which contained the most violence.

Too easy
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      Too easy
      You could have written that software?

Comment

Context matters. Such a software would rate a book that was about how bad violence was as more violent then a book that talked about many things, but had a significant fraction talking about how good violence is.

JM
        (Of course, I don't think that Muslims are more violent then Christians and I don't think that Islam is inherently and distinctly violent compared to other major religions. I am just pointing out that this 'research' is stupid.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Who is more violent in the real world and is that violence religiously based?

Lastly, let me know when 70% of Christians support killing people who leave the religion because that is the real figure in Islam today. Violence in Islam is endemic because said violence is supposedly ordered by God and that is why Islam is an especially ****ty cult/religion/ideology.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The bible has about 120% the number of words as the Koran. Assuming equal legible fonts, this leads the Bible to be 120% as deadly as the Koran when both are used as a cudgel.

Both are similarly deadly when used as food for infants and toddlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              Lastly, let me know when 70% of Christians support killing people who leave the religion because that is the real figure in Islam today.
              Please provide proof of the 70% figure.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post

Science.
                I remember that part from the bible where God sayeth "Death to Hipsters!"
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  Who is more violent in the real world and is that violence religiously based?

Lastly, let me know when 70% of Christians support killing people who leave the religion because that is the real figure in Islam today. Violence in Islam is endemic because said violence is supposedly ordered by God and that is why Islam is an especially ****ty cult/religion/ideology.
                  From the 13th century till the beginning of the 19th century a huge number of peple were burned in Pyres or executed by other means for falling away from doctrinal christianity. I am sure that can be interpreted as "70% of christians at this time supportung the killing of people for laving the religion"
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Islam didn't even have catholic inquisition

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post

Please provide proof of the 70% figure.
                      My guess is the number comes from somewhere here:

Page is too long to have clicked on all links, but some seem legit.
                      According to the survey findings, most Muslims believe sharia is the revealed word of God rather than a body of law developed by men based on the word of

The numbers for:
                      Sharia as the Official Law of the Land
                      Penalty for Theft or Robbery
                      Penalty for Adultery
                      Penalty for Converting to Another Faith
                      are chilling.

One that could be related to violence, with working link, was this one:
                      Extremist groups Hamas and Hezbollah continue to receive mixed ratings from Muslim publics. However, opinions of al Qaeda and its leader, Osama bin Laden, are consistently negative; only in Nigeria do Muslims offer views that are, on balance, positive toward al Qaeda and bin Laden.

But the numbers are closer to 30%-60%.

However the one that could mention the 70% could be the one related to "approve of attacks on American troop" which is this one: ttp://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf.
                      It is one that is referenced a lot on this site. But the link seems broken, I get a 404 page not found.
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

So it's the Jews that are inherently violent?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

From the 13th century till the beginning of the 19th century a huge number of peple were burned in Pyres or executed by other means for falling away from doctrinal christianity. I am sure that can be interpreted as "70% of christians at this time supportung the killing of people for laving the religion"
                          By that standard rednecks are peace loving.

Comment

I guess it's too much to expect people to visit a church or read the Bible. They even have audio Bibles you can listen on the way to work. No need to do useless txt analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              I guess it's too much to expect people to visit a church or read the Bible. They even have audio Bibles you can listen on the way to work. No need to do useless txt analysis.
                              Well, hopefully those people would not begin to read the bible with the old testament ... for example Deuteronomy 13:6-17, Deuternomy 17:2-7 or 2. Chronicles 15:13
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X