Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The One Ring - real threat or cheap excuse for war against the Ork people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian novel retells “The Lord of the Rings” from the bad guys’ POV
    Posted on February 23, 2011 by Chris Walters

The Last Ring-bearerFifteen years ago, Russian paleontologist Kirill Yeskov decided to rewrite Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” for fun. His new version, “The Last Ring-bearer,” assumes that the original story of the Ring of Power is actually a retelling of a major war as written by the victors — and as with human history, the vanquished were painted with a more villainous brush than they deserved. You can’t find it in any U.S. bookstores, but you can download the ebook for free.

I haven’t read it yet, but Laura Miller at Salon says “The Last Ring-bearer” is presented as “the more complicated and less sentimental true story” of the fall of Mordor. It has “the wizard Gandalf [as] a war-monger intent on crushing the scientific and technological initiative of Mordor and its southern allies.” The elves ally with Gandalf because they want to take over Middle-earth and remake it in the image of their homeland. And Mordor is a land of science and technology, led by a ruler who wants to replace ancient magic with modern enlightenment.

Although that comes across a little like Gregory Maguire’s “Wicked” in concept, the hero of “The Last Ring-bearer” isn’t Sauron — who remains off-stage for the most part — but a pair of men sent to find and destroy a powerful elvish weapon.

Yeskov writes that “The Last Ring-bearer” was intended for “a very specific audience” of Tolkien fans who both love the epic fantasy and love to tinker with it, pick it apart, and argue about its flaws:
    Briefly, I was attracted by a logical challenge to come up with a consistent explanation for several obvious contradictions in the image of Middle Earth that the Professor painted, demonstrating thereby that those contradictions are not real.

Looking for a place for ‘The Last Ring-bearer’ in the long row of literary apocrypha, I dare place it next to my personal favorite Rozenkrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead (the movie, not the play). An exquisitely paradoxical post-modern game Tom Stoppard played against the Shakespearean backdrop is precisely the relationship with the source Text that I sought to accomplish. Whether I have succeeded is for readers to judge.
    This may sound like the world’s biggest work of fanfic, and Yeskov admits that he’s not a professional author and that he wrote the book for his own amusement. But that doesn’t mean it’s amateur; it was published commercially in Russia in 1999 and has achieved enough acclaim and popularity to have since been translated into other languages. Just not English, for fear of lawsuits from the flaming eyeball of Tolkien’s estate.

But readers always find a way, and now a fan named Yisroel Markov has translated the work into English and, with Yeskov’s editing and blessing, made available a noncommercial version.

Update: Some of the links below no longer work. Check out this page for more current epub and mobi downloads.

“The Last Ring-bearer” page [ymarkov.livejournal.com]
    http://booksprung.com/russian-novel-...e-bad-guys-pov

---

I do not recall how or where I found out about The Last Ringbearer years ago, but I downloaded it from somewhere and read it -- I cannot recommend the first 100 or so pages too highly; Yeskov knew his Middle Earth thoroughly, and the setup and exposition was brilliant and astonishingly credible. (Once they get to Umbar, it turns into this genial spy story that I've completely forgotten despite the tremendous WTF!? factor of extensive tradecraft chatter in a Middle Earth story - I can't recommend any of that.)
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
      Are they "Orcs" or "Orks"?

This really concerns me.
      If Lori were around he'd be able to clear this up.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        If Lori were around he'd be able to clear this up.
        Yeah, it was a sad day ten years ago when he disapeared although it took 4-5 years before anyone noticed

There are rumors saying that you can hear a faint whisper of his lost soul lingering if the deepest and darkest caves under Apolyton.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hiccup
          Last edited by BlackCat; November 28, 2016, 15:38.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

(or Lori's ghost?! )
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Felt weird to make that joke myself. Thanks for doing it.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I read (the first 20 pages) of a book about the life of tolkien. it was free with a sunday newspaper.

what made an impression was that when his colonial fatrher died and his mother came back to the mold and swicthed to catholicism, her whole family disowned her (and him)

I wonder if ben was the same.,

about golloum and sh!t 3rd rate boring as **** reads are boring

Comment

orcs were the germans btw

Comment

I wonder if ben was the same.
                    Interesting parallel.

No - my family situation is different. I'd be a Tolkien without his Luthien and without a mother whom he dearly loved in the Church. But yes, he was very English English and the conflict between the Church of England and between his Catholicism really shaped his professional career.

And no, I converted before, not after my father passed on.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                      orcs were the germans btw
                      He always denied it, but I think it was pretty obvious.

Comment

because they were bad people

Comment

He thought of including Greeks, but deemed them too irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
                          Blah

Comment

There were some pointy ear fairies, the germans and a couple of tight ass midgets
                            There was no place for the Greeks

Comment

Hobbits are quite hairy... I guess they're the Greeks

Comment

:/

Comment

Working...
                                X