Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The One Ring - real threat or cheap excuse for war against the Ork people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The One Ring - real threat or cheap excuse for war against the Ork people?

IIRC we get told how Sauron will be dangerous and darkness will fall when he gets The One Ring back. But is there actually any evidence for this scenario? I mean Gollum had the One for a very looong time, and what did happen??? Exactly nothing. At least not much in the super-evil/doom sense.

As I see it, this whole story of Sauron/Ring/Orks = doom could very well just be the result of a massive propaganda effort led by hawkish forces of Gondor who hate peace and see a chance to settle the cold war vs. their archenemy Mordor by force. To drag the good people of Middleearth into such a huge militarist adventure, they clearly needed to overplay the Ring threat, and also depict peaceful Orks as evil killers.

Sure, people may point to older stories about Sauron being evil and super-dangerous with the One in his possession, but let's not forget history is always written by the victor, so we never get a balanced view or the background that is explained from the perspective of Mordor.
    Last edited by BeBMan; November 26, 2016, 14:33.
    Blah

Even Gandalf admits that Sauron was not always evil.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Gandalf the White had a pro-Gondor false flag ops underway where he appeared as Gandalf the Grey. Which means he is a bad source, as he's been always part of the "Make Gondor Great Again" crusade.
      Blah

Comment

Couldn't they just build a wall and make Mordor pay for it? Eliminating Mordor seems a little extreme.

Comment

Sharkey will make the Shire great again!

Comment

The Orcs started the war (or their side did).
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Stop blaming the orcs!! Their only chance to protect their way of life was to start a preemptive war.

Orcs have feelings too
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Somehow I always remember the Orcs as Orks. Probably from my Kraut readthrough of LOTR /2cents

On a meaningless sidenote, the Hobbit movies were kinda bad IMO, despite some good elements here and there.
                Blah

Comment

The Hobbit movies were terrible. There were a couple of nice scenes, but overall I don't desire they exist.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                    Somehow I always remember the Orcs as Orks. Probably from my Kraut readthrough of LOTR /2cents

On a meaningless sidenote, the Hobbit movies were kinda bad IMO, despite some good elements here and there.
                    Orks are the violent, green-skinned, psychic fungi from Warhammer 40k.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought Mork was from Ork. Shows the power of propaganda!
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Are they "Orcs" or "Orks"?

This really concerns me.

Comment

Depends on whether you are a Hobbit or playing Warhammer.

Comment

Fifteen years and still no one pays attention to me.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                              I thought Mork was from Ork. Shows the power of propaganda!
                              Mork is one of the Ork gods from Warhammer 40k also.

Comment

Working...
                              X