Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick question for Americans (Health Insurance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
    I know this will be looked at as a dumb question, but I really don't understand...

Why would this be best?

In nearly every other industry competition has promoted cost savings and efficiency. Why would removing competition make it cheaper and better?

Wouldn't standardization of filing forms and regulation of coverages be better?

Sorry...don't mean to be dumb, but I just don't get this one.
    I'm a bit confused that you are confused over this.

It might be different in US, but over here (Denmark/europe) public admin are whipped to be effective and have low costs so the admin costs are probably similar to that of a industry.

Wrt. standardization, I can't imagine anything simpler than one equal coverage for all and one place to go.

Maybe 10% (probably more) of your payments to the insurance company doesn't go to to your benefit - they end in the shareholders pockets.

Last, a singular entity that negotiates payments to the hospitals can effectively reduce the costs for treatment. If the hospitals also are public, then yet another 10% (probably more) goes to your health.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Uh, no. Single Payer will drastically drive costs upwards as if you have only one buyer, and that buyer is the government, there's no incentive to cut costs or waste.
      Pure BS.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Actually, almost all the enrollment gains went to Medicaid, not Obamacare, as both you and the article confirms.
        Those people were only able to enroll in Medicaid due to Obamacare. To not count them is typical Ben.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Those people were only able to enroll in Medicaid due to Obamacare. To not count them is typical Ben.
          Then why bother having exchanges at all? Why fine people for not buying insurance? I think we both know the answer to that question.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Pure BS.
            So you say. Why not have one grocery store? One gas station?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Every single payer country spends far less per capita on health care than the USA

Comment

Every single payer country pays far less per capita on health care than the USA
                Not so. The Norwegians pay more and the Swiss pay more. The gap really isn't that great. Might have been in the past, but single payer costs have been rising.

The reason for that is that care is rationed. You either ration by price or ration by availability.

Comment

So you say. Why not have one grocery store? One gas station?
                  More BS.

Your argument was :

that buyer is the government, there's no incentive to cut costs or waste
                  which is more BS. Government institutions are under high pressure to cut both cost and waste because politicians don't want to raise taxes.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Not so. The Norwegians pay more and the Swiss pay more. The gap really isn't that great. Might have been in the past, but single payer costs have been rising.

The reason for that is that care is rationed. You either ration by price or ration by availability.
                    This is really funny. The Norweigans and Swiss are paying more because they reduce care

Steven Weinberg

Comment

This is really funny. The Norweigans and Swiss are paying more because they reduce care
                      Oh, then why are they paying more?

Comment

which is more BS. Government institutions are under high pressure to cut both cost and waste because politicians don't want to raise taxes.
                        Not BS at all. Competition reduces prices because if you charge too much, other people who can deliver for less will take your business away. Single payer eliminates that burden, and look at Obamacare. 25 percent increases this year alone. If politicians don't want to raise taxes, why are Americans seeing their insurance costs jump 25 percent in a single year?

Comment

Oh, then why are they paying more?
                          Just a wild guess : better tratment.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                            I'm a bit confused that you are confused over this.

It might be different in US, but over here (Denmark/europe) public admin are whipped to be effective and have low costs so the admin costs are probably similar to that of a industry.

Wrt. standardization, I can't imagine anything simpler than one equal coverage for all and one place to go.

Maybe 10% (probably more) of your payments to the insurance company doesn't go to to your benefit - they end in the shareholders pockets.

Last, a singular entity that negotiates payments to the hospitals can effectively reduce the costs for treatment. If the hospitals also are public, then yet another 10% (probably more) goes to your health.
                            Thanks BC. It must be nice to have a government whose main product isn't waste.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Just a wild guess : better tratment.
                              Oh. So American care > Denmark?

Comment

Actually, almost all the enrollment gains went to Medicaid, not Obamacare, as both you and the article confirms.
                                Uhhh... the changes in Medicaid were a part of O-care. All you are focusing on are the exchanges, which is just ONE part of O-care.
                                And, let's not forget all the children under 26 who are still covered on their parents plans who weren't before.
                                O-care is more than just the exchanges.

So yet again, you are wrong as usual.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X