Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick question for Americans (Health Insurance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question for Americans (Health Insurance)

We keep hearing about all the issues with Obamacare. The biggest being rate increases in the 40% range. So for those that get insurance through work it's time for to re-enroll.
    I just went through the process and our cost did not increase at all. This is the first time it hasn't increased in a while. (some years it's hard to tell because we changed providers and benefits were different so a comparison wasn't easy.)

So for those that get it through work, did your's go up and if it did, was it a lot or just a little.

The only good thing about Obamacare is the preexisting coverage. What will the repugs try to replace it with?

You just can't throw out the whole thing and drop coverage for millions of those that currently can only get it through Obamacare

Will we see an expansion of Medicare as a stop gap on the way to single pay.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Mexico can pay for our healthcare...

Comment

Do they even pay for their own?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mine is going up $30/mo. Spouse and self coverage. Total for my part is now $570/mo or $6840/yr...or (assuming a 2080 hour work year) $3.29/work hour. My company contributes an additional $590/mo. (one could consider that I would earn a higher wage if my company didn't have to pay this much for my benefits??) This brings total cost to $1160/mo or $13,920/yr...or $6.69/work hour.

I went to McDonald's this morning for a breakfast biscuit and wondered what the guy serving it to me for $7.25/hr gets for his health coverage. Then I realized that he probably only works 25-30 hours a week and probably qualifies for a subsidy from the government. Assuming that is true and the money comes from the taxes I pay, then we could effectively double the $6.69/hr to $13.38/hour. So I guess I pay $27,830.40 per year...but at least I cover 4 people!!
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Well, I've been paying the penalty, and paying for what I need up front rather than paying for insurance. Obamacare has had a pretty drastic effect on my coverage! My school dropped their coverage when it became apparent that the administration was going to sue Catholics for their plans that did not cover abortion.

It would be great if Trump put a stake in that and then we could get our own private coverage again. Prior to that, I think our coverage was about 1k a year. Pretty good deal compared to the penalty.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I would be willing to bet that the plan that he gets is nowhere near as good as the one you have, so your math probably needs some tweaking. My company picks up a larger share so my cut is only around 420 a month and it's top of the line plan.

And I'm glad to see that Ben will be contributing to subsidize a needy persons insurance.
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And I'm glad to see that Ben will be contributing to subsidize a needy persons insurance.
              And you wonder why folks went Trump? O-care is unaffordable, unless of course, you get the subsidies, which is the entire point of Obamacare. More people have lost coverage than gained.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

It's threads like this that make me appreciate Canada's single payer system. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but it's light years ahead of what you people have.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  More people have lost coverage than gained.
                  Cite please... There are more people insured now than before O-care. Please prove your statement or stop making crap up.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm doing V.A.
                    It's like county hospital, but for veterans.
                    It sucks.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I have VA and it is free so I am unconcerned. Single payer for all would be best.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Mine went down by ~$20/mo (self & spouse) but my plan from this year isn't being offered next year. The main differences are they added more pre-tax options, bumped the deductible up $1k, added a no-cost employer health contribution that pretty much covers the larger deductible, and dropped the co-pay from 20% to 10%. Max out of pocket is higher too, though.
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                          Cite please... There are more people insured now than before O-care. Please prove your statement or stop making crap up.
                          Yeah, Ben, you really need to back that one up. Which I"M SURE YOU CAN'T.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Single payer for all would be best.
                            I know this will be looked at as a dumb question, but I really don't understand...

Why would this be best?

In nearly every other industry competition has promoted cost savings and efficiency. Why would removing competition make it cheaper and better?

Wouldn't standardization of filing forms and regulation of coverages be better?

Sorry...don't mean to be dumb, but I just don't get this one.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Recent reports have touted a significant drop in the number of uninsured and generally credited Obamacare for it. And, other reports have recently highlighted about 950,000 more people signing up for Obamacare since the 2015 open enrollment closed but haven’t said anything about the number of people who dropped their [...]

Pretty good article from Forbes.

Obamacare enrollment is tepid at best, accounting for only a gain in the number of insured of 4.1 million people.
                              Only about 40 percent of those eligible for the Obamacare insurance exchanges have so far signed up with exchange enrollment.
                              Researchers estimate that 5.9 million lost coverage.
                              So yes, Obamacare is net negative by about 1.2 million.

Comment

Working...
                              X