UK government loses Brexit court case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DP
    Last edited by N35t0r; November 7, 2016, 13:50.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I understand the term. I challenge that there's a written, explicit constitutional role for a supreme court in Britain. Again, Britain is not America.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        I understand the term. I challenge that there's a written, explicit constitutional role for a supreme court in Britain. Again, Britain is not America.
        For something created 10 years ago by the "constitutional reform act"?
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Add to that, kentonio was talking about politicians in the parliament - not some court.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Wow. So British should feel constrained by something created out of whole cloth 10 years ago by the same folks in the European Union clamoring to keep Britain in? Are you saying that Britain had no judicial authority prior?

It seems pretty clear to me that a court predated by Schengen has no authority when it comes to telling the British whether they stay or go.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

This is getting weirder and weirder
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I think the British should not feel constrained by the British - or maybe they should?!?
                Blah

Comment

yeah

where to begin?

That the UK is not or ever has been a member of Schengen?
                  Somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                    some interesting polling on post-brexit opinion.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9776
                    That suggests hardly anyone has changed their mind.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It seems pretty clear to me that a court predated by Schengen has no authority when it comes to telling the British whether they stay or go.
                      The recent decision was made by the High Court, which has been around for centuries.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wow. So British should feel constrained by something created out of whole cloth 10 years ago by the same folks in the European Union clamoring to keep Britain in? Are you saying that Britain had no judicial authority prior?
                        This makes no sense.
                        Except the court said no such thing?
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                          The recent decision was made by the High Court, which has been around for centuries.
                          Originally posted by Nestor
                          You might want to inform NES of that fact.

Comment

You're all arguing with Ben? About facts?

Are you mad?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ben, Britain has what is often wrongly described as an 'unwritten constitution'. This is wrong because it's actually written across thousands of peices of law formed over centuries that provide our constitutional framework. Unlike America, no-one ever made them into a handy, easy to read list, which is why people don't think it exists. Because people are usually quite dumb (as you never tire of showing us) and legal and constitutional stuff is hard.

It's almost as if when questions of constitutional law arise the exact people you'd trust to examine them would be, oh I don't know, maybe a group of the most highly qualified judges in the land maybe?

Comment

No true scotsman would want to stay out of this:

The Scottish government is to seek to intervene against the UK government's appeal to the Supreme Court over the triggering of Article 50.

The High Court ruled last week that MPs must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU.

The UK government immediately said it would appeal to the Supreme Court, with a hearing due next month.

The Lord Advocate, Scotland's most senior law officer, will now apply to be heard in the case.

He is expected to argue that the consent of the Scottish Parliament and the UK's other devolved parliaments and assemblies should also be sought before Article 50 is triggered.

Prime Minister Theresa May believes that the result of the EU referendum - and existing ministerial powers - means MPs do not need to vote on the triggering of Article 50.

(...)

full: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37909299
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X