UK government loses Brexit court case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's all I will say.
    Perhaps now we can get back to talking about England?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Perhaps now we can get back to talking about England?
      Absolutely.

Can you leave now since you don't know anything about the subject?
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          The courts have done nothing other than to reaffirm a very basic principle of our democracy that a government can't remove rights from citizens without an act of parliament. They have made absolutely no judgement relating to the principle of leaving the EU.
          True, but there are some slightly surprising rights included in the judgement - rights of British citizens in other EU countries.
          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post

in fairness, i actually thought that they both came across well there.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

So did I surprisingly (apart from a few moments of Farage-ness like his pre-scripted 'what part of Leave don't you understand' nonsense). Having an issue with one of the judges perhaps having a conflict of interest isn't unreasonable, although I'm yet to hear a single rational argument against the judgement other than 'Well the MP's might vote to stop Brexit which would be undemocratic' which is a completely vacuous and idiotic argument to make in a representative democracy.

Comment

well, if parliament did stop brexit, it would provoke a crisis, which is why it won't.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

some interesting polling on post-brexit opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                    well, if parliament did stop brexit, it would provoke a crisis, which is why it won't.
                    So there's no reason to try and prevent them having their proper oversight over the process. I can't think of anything more dangerous than the argument that they shouldn't be allowed to perform their constitutional role just in case they did something inappropriate.

Comment

What constitutional role? You're not America.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        What constitutional role? You're not America.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

No, haven't you heard? Only the US was constituted.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Perhaps Kentonio can show me the text of this 'British constitution?'

Comment

Shouldn't we call this UK government the "Brovernment" now?
                              Blah

Comment

constitute
                                ˈkɒnstɪtjuːt/
                                verb
                                be (a part) of a whole.
                                "lone parents constitute a great proportion of the poor"
                                synonyms: amount to, add up to, account for, form, make up, compose, comprise, represent
                                "farmers constituted 10 per cent of the population"
                                give legal or constitutional form to (an institution); establish by law.
                                "the superior courts were constituted by the Judicature Acts 1873–5"
                                synonyms: inaugurate, initiate, establish, found, create, set up, put in place, start, begin, originate, form, organize, develop, shape; More
                                Feedback
                                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X