German government trying to force children to go to mosque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    I don't have any problem with gay people who have respect for me. You have no respect for me or anyone who thinks differently than you.
    You haven't done **** to earn any shred of respect from me.
    Last edited by Giancarlo; November 4, 2016, 09:20. Reason: Typo
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Kid is definitely unhinged and I predict we will be hearing less from him.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• How long before he goes on a shooting rampage inside a mosque?

Comment

• On second thought, he won't set foot in a mosque because he's afraid he would convert to Islam.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
            Kid is definitely unhinged and I predict we will be hearing less from him.
            Good prediction...
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              Nope. You're too stupid to understand the difference between not believing in Islam and hating muslims.
              I think there's a (sort of) fair point here. Note, however, that you Kid have a very skewed view of Islam, fed by right wing reactionary propaganda.

I have no love for Christianity, but most Christians I know are perfectly nice people. The same applies to Muslims. I'm happy for my children to be exposed to both, and to talk to them about the respective beliefs, which, to my mind, are strikingly similar. (I.e., kinda stupid). As has been argued by many in this thread, denying children exposure to other people's beliefs is pretty much handicapping them from making informed choices and understanding people in the world at large.

It's too bad Kid, that you've never taken opportunity to discuss Islam with an everyday, moderate Muslim. I know that's an assumption by me, but I think it's probably true, based on your weird hatred of the religion, given it's actually pretty similar to Christianity.

Comment

• Yes, ignorance typically breeds fear.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, ignorance typically breeds fear.
                  And that's how we wound up with Mr. orange.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

It's too bad Kid, that you've never taken opportunity to discuss Islam with an everyday, moderate Muslim. I know that's an assumption by me, but I think it's probably true, based on your weird hatred of the religion, given it's actually pretty similar to Christianity.
                    That is very true. Just a bit more conservative but the food is good

Comment

• I don't think the conservatism is more inherent to Islam than Christianity, it's just that Islam happens to be more prevalent in countries that haven't undergone liberalisation to the extent that the West has. Unfortunately conservatives in some (a lot) of those countries have harnessed religion to further their own, f*cked up conservative agenda.

Hmm... sounds vaguely familiar...

Comment

• If they are visiting such places for purely academic purposes, I don't see a problem with it.
                        Couple of points here.

One - Freedom of religion is protected under the first amendment. Parents have every right to refuse permission to allow their kids to go on a field trip like this. Doesn't even matter why - and this cuts both ways. Ultimately, education is a parental responsibility. If you value education your child is going to get more out of school than if you don't value education.

Two, I find it a rather two-faced statement to say, "we should be removing bigotry" while at the same time claiming that it's ok to treat Christians different from others. Doesn't square up. If you believe that religion doesn't have a place in the public sphere, then I can't see how you defend mosque trips.

Three, the argument, "we need to show children that ISIS isn't Islam"? That's not education, that's indoctrination. Would you take kids to a synagogue to explain anti-Semitism and the influence that it has on history? If not, why not? ISIS is a part of Islam and trying to convince others that this is not the case strikes me as special pleading. You'd be better off explaining what ISIS believes and why they believe that killing infidels is the way to go, instead of whitewashing their motivations altogether. Arguing that they are random middle-eastern terrorists does nothing to explain why they believe what they do or how their worldview influences their actions. If you believe that you're getting 72 virgins for slaughtering an infidel - well, that's kind of important, no?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Unfortunately conservatives in some (a lot) of those countries have harnessed religion to further their own, f*cked up conservative agenda.
                          We've touched on some of those differences in the thread. The fundamental distinction between conservatives and liberals is that liberals believe that rights come from the state, while conservatives believe that rights come from God. I'm not quite sure how you square the circle between those arguing that we have fundamental human rights that cannot be taken away from us with Sharia Law.

Care to explain how the one presages the other?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• It was nice to not have to read drivel like that for a week.

Comment

Yes, ignorance typically breeds fear.
                              Fear breeds hatred...
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Of sand.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X