• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence of the species (semi serious)

A manifesto of a proud human bigot

Facts:

1) it is likely to be true that interstellar travel remains costly and slow
    2) the technology required to destroy a planetary civilization is likely to get cheaper through time
    3) such technology will become increasingly miniaturized (von Neumann machines)
    4) given galactic timescales intelligence is likely to develop at vastly different times on different worlds (assuming it develops on different worlds at all)
    5) the emergence of intelligent life is likely to be undectable until the development of radio, at such point the news will spread at the speed of light for some small number of hundreds of light years around the origin

Implications:

a) Interstellar trade will be limited to information exchange and contractual terms will be unenforceable
    b) any planetary civilization will be a substantially greater threat to all other civilizations in its vicinity than an opportunity
    c) most intelligent attempts to destroy an alien planetary civilization will be plausibly deniable
    d) the combined lightspeed broadcast and physical reverse travel time between stars will remain longer than the elapsed time between the emergence of a detectable planetary civilization and its ability to destroy other planetary civilizations
    e) the ethics of alien civilizations are deeply mysterious

Conclusions:

A) any reasonably developed civilization can destroy any other
    B) by the time you see your neighbors and can deliver them a planet busting package, they will have developed to the point where they have seen you and can have launched a planet busting package
    C) So, the only reasonable course is one of probabilistic deterrence

Proposal:

1) cease any active-seti efforts
    2) increase research into miniaturized self-replicating machines
    3) increase research into laser-propulsion, solar sails etc with the intent of delivering small colonies of killer self-replicating machines to all systems in the immediate neighborhood which may now or at any time in the future develop intelligent life. Until activated these should be essentially undetectable.
    4) once those are in place, if you discover any technological species in the systems you have seeded, tell them that you have a gun to their head. Or, simply pull the trigger.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

A galactic prisoner's dilemma. Fun. Maybe we should hope aliens are superrational rather than rational?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The only defence I can think of is to beam very powerful lasers along the flight path from your neighbors to you (which is basically a straight line) and to keep doing so for centuries. If you catch the planet killing package early enough in its flight then the radiation pressure might disrupt the path enough that over Interstellar distances the limited terminal guidance of the package will be overwhelmed.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

killer self-replicating machines?

Comment

Wait. Why would anyone spend such fantastic amounts of money to kill off people so far away that they effectively don't exist?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Wait. Why would anyone spend such fantastic amounts of money to kill off people so far away that they effectively don't exist?
            I think the premise is that they might do it first in order to pre-emptively stop us from doing it to them.

Comment

Which is like suggesting that I might remote-pilot a bomb-laden drone into the apartment of some random guy in California. Well, yes, I could, but why?
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                Which is like suggesting that I might remote-pilot a bomb-laden drone into the apartment of some random guy in California. Well, yes, I could, but why?
                To stop him from doing it to you first. Without a galactic government we're doomed to a war of species against species.

Comment

The difference is that there are no police to credibly deter our alien neighbors from doing it to us, and much less experience with their moral frameworks.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The danger posed by an alien society within a few dozen lightyears to your well-being is enormously larger than the danger to your well-being posed by all humans on earth, collectively (as long as you exclude other existential threats like the singularity)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                      killer self-replicating machines?
                      If you have a better way to kill an alien species which might do the same to us, then I'd like to hear it.

Within a few hundred years my expectation is that we could build a planet killing package smaller than a grain of sand, and could launch it at 20% of lightspeed...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Greg Bear has already worked this all out in his books "The Forge of God" and "Anvil of Stars".
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

1) cease any active-seti efforts
                          Yep, came to this conclusion long ago. Why do they always assume the touchy feely - "aliens are our friends?"
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How big a black hole do you need to lead to a star or planet to collapse in on impact? Those Vulcans and their moral code are dangerous.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              If you have a better way to kill an alien species which might do the same to us, then I'd like to hear it.

Within a few hundred years my expectation is that we could build a planet killing package smaller than a grain of sand, and could launch it at 20% of lightspeed...
                              That sounds really out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X