No announcement yet.

Defence of the species (semi serious)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, once humans get planet destroying nanobots it's game over for us anyway ...

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Wait. Why would anyone spend such fantastic amounts of money to kill off people so far away that they effectively don't exist?
      There may come a point at which destroying alien civilizations is trivially easy, such that doing so requires no more effort (relatively speaking) than getting your vaccinations does today.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        I wouldn't be stopped by fear of the police. I'd be stopped by "why the hell would I bother wasting some d-bag I'll never meet?" And blowing through a great deal of money to do it. Couldn't I, like, spend the money on other stuff? Hookers, blow, maybe just a lot of good meals? At this point, you're not talking about evil so much as utterly irrational.
        You're not properly accounting for the game theoretic aspect of this. As long as the thing costs substantially less than the discounted future consumption of your entire society, then the rational move is to pay for it. In this case, that ratio is likely less than 1%, which makes the choice obvious.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm shocked that I haven't ever seen this proposal. I visit various places on the internet where such possibilities are the bread-and-butter of the community. Game theory + futurology + physics: the nerd trifecta
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, I'm surprised there aren't more psychopaths contemplating genocide of aliens that might possibly exist using far-fetched means that may exist in the future.

Comment

I am but Johnny von Neumann's less capable child...

Look, I'm clearly a psychopath and (at least slightly) autistic - but the species should be glad it has people like me.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Look, I'm clearly a psychopath and (at least slightly) autistic - but the species should be glad it has people like me.
                Niven had paranoid schizophrenics protecting the UN.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I forgot about that...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You need to also account for the possibility that earth is already under surveillance by a benevolent or disinterested power, and any such project would trigger the end of humanity.

And that we probably are nowhere near a perfect understanding of the universe.

And that humanity is likely nowhere near the first or most advanced.

And that being alive isn't actually a good thing if you are space Hitler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      There may come a point at which destroying alien civilizations is trivially easy, such that doing so requires no more effort (relatively speaking) than getting your vaccinations does today.
                      Dumping the R and D into designing and manufacturing micro-machines doomsday weapons doesn't sound trivially easy, unless for some reason these wee deathbombs get discovered incidentally as some application of an actually useful technology. Which doesn't seem at all likely. I'd worry far more about the asteroid impact thing, as it doesn't require you to believe in Planet Crickit from the HHGTTG sequels.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        1) cease any active-seti efforts
                        This seems counter-productive as you are tying to LOOK for aliens to destroy. I would think SETI would help you do that.

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Niven had paranoid schizophrenics protecting the UN.
                        I know you have ignored all my poasts since like 2007 or so but if you by some miracle read this poast I want you to know, once and for all, that AAHZ is certified schizoaffective.
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          Also, once humans get planet destroying nanobots it's game over for us anyway ...
                          Grey Goo. A strange game. It appears that the only way to win is not to play...
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                            This seems counter-productive as you are tying to LOOK for aliens to destroy. I would think SETI would help you do that.
                            ACTIVE versus PASSIVE. Like an active IR system would paint the surrounding area with an IR "searchlight", whereas a passive IR system would simply measure differences from the IR background.

Comment

This guy displaced Killdozer in your heart? This guy???

Comment

Hm, how can we make sure those nano bots we delivered don't get bored once they wiped out the other civ, and start to tech-evolve into something else just for the fun of it? Like something that comes back to bite us into our collective asses, put us into the matrix or something???

However, if that is indeed the best option to deal with other civs, could we expect to see much of the galaxy populated by nanobots, or at least find remnants of the nanobot apocalypse on many worlds?
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X