TA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put it under the heading "Disability (ADA) Statement."
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

The disability section in the syllabus is just, "We have a whole department for dealing with this stuff. Please don't try to convince the professor you need an extra hour on the exam on exam day. Just talk to DSS. Now."
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'd go with authoritarian myself, but then I really really hated the 'vagueness'.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Tomorrow is the first discussion section I have to lead. Have to go over the syllabus, impress upon them the vast time and distance scales of astronomy, and get across the notion of lookback time.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Easy peasy. Minutes (earth) and hours (Neptune) vs. 1000s of years (spiral arm) vs. millions of years (other galaxies) vs. billions of years (quasars). Tell them if little green men wanted to watch Game of Thrones, they wouldn't see the first episode until after you class had died of old age. Explain the space is pretty much empty space and that even though we call it the asteroid belt, if they were to fly through it, there is a 99% chance they wouldn't even notice.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
              ...even though we call it the asteroid belt, if they were to fly through it, there is a 99% chance they wouldn't even notice.
              But then they'll lose their trust in C-3PO.

Comment

One of the interesting things about the universe (to me) is that it actually gets progressively less empty (relatively speaking) on larger scales. Just as an example, the distance to Alpha Centauri is 30 million times greater than the size of the Sun, whereas the distance to Andromeda is only 25 times greater than the size of the Milky Way. (If you think that's an apples to oranges comparison, the distance to AC is still 10,000 times the distance to Neptune.)

Comment

True as long as you are not in or near one of the great rifts.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Perhaps it is balanced out by the fact that stars are a lot more dense than galaxies.

Comment

• Well yeah. The universe is homogeneous on large scales. For which those who do GR are thankful.

Comment

• I'm always fascinated by what the sky would look from one of the dwarf galaxies in the edge of the local group.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• That may have been the most boring, least educational discussion session in history, but I didn't vomit on anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            but I didn't vomit on anyone.
                            That's a good start
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Tiny steps.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• tah buddty! minf is ok too. buit raj is better civ playter

Comment

Working...
                                X