No announcement yet.

TA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a TA is good for you. The whole women thing is just a fantasy. That will not happen.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Yeah, no. That's not a fantasy; that's a nightmare.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Been a TA before, actually really enjoyed the experience.

Been a tutor for years, both on my own and through the college. Found out I really liked teaching one on one and I was pretty good at it. If you enjoy the subject, and don't mind working with other people, why not? It's great experience for the future if you plan to teach.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'd say --- the money always sucks, but more than good experience, it's a huge networking opportunity; even if you don't grad there in that department, you'll have fantastic references if you do a good job, and a far better than usual grasp of how things work at the level grads operate.
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            Yeah, in my time spent as an undergrad and around grad students, that's the impression I've gotten. I've always tried to avoid putting anything extra on a TA's plate. (Except, I guess, that time I tried to bang my TA once the semester was over. Oops.)
            I've heard that body part called many things, but never a "plate."

I'd think of it as a less completely dead-end job than customer support phone BS. You'll be differently frustrated for a change, which is nice, and get some public speaking and leadership skills to go with your by-now-probably-okay phoning with strangers skills. Public speaking and leadership might actually be useful for something; people with real, valuable jobs do those. Whereas talking on the phone with strangers is so miserable and unproductive that it's given to bottom-rung schmoes whenever feasible.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Oh crap this is actually happening I can't get out of it. Do you... do you think they'll let me bring in a DM screen?
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

YOU CAN DO IT.
                YOU CAN DO IT.

You're one of the most entertaining guys here. Just give them a taste of that.
                I know it's easier on a forum, but we all know you have it in you.

You can do it.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good luck, Lorizael!
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What they said. You are teh awesome, sir.
                    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I am now listed on my school's website as a TA and very soon forty business majors will be trying to ignore my annoying voice for fifty minutes a week while staring at their iPhones. Oh god how did this happen.

Comment

If it's any consolation, you could just show your shrink this thread. She'll stop reading and write you a script for Xanax halfway through. Failing that, hey, it's not like the business majors are friends of yours, right? And the worst-case scenario is that you'll get the axe, and all that means is you won't have to do it anymore.

Assuming, of course, you can restrain the urge to get their attention by jumping up on a desk and swinging your genitals around to demonstrate pendular motion.
                        1011 1100

Comment

I was once given a prescription for anxiety meds to be taken as needed. However, it was never explicitly made clear to me what "as needed" really meant, so one time I thought I was going through a bout of anxiety and decided to take a pill, but I wasn't sure if I really needed it, so I spent the next half hour worrying about whether I had done the right thing and then threw up. I never took them again.

Comment

Anxiety meds make you anxious. There's a new one. But fair enough. Your case calls for alternative medicine. Repeat after me: "I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer . . ."
                            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              I am now listed on my school's website as a TA and very soon forty business majors will be trying to ignore my annoying voice for fifty minutes a week while staring at their iPhones. Oh god how did this happen.
                              Recently I have only taught graduate students. And outside the US.

When I was a TA the iPhone didn't exist.

It must be a different world.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                                Who knows, it may actually help with some of your issues. Face the fear and all that.
                                This. Get out of your comfort zone.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X