Why are the betting markets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thoth View Post
    At least some of them are going Stein. Not sure how widespread the sentiment is, but I've got a very vocal former Sandernista turned Steiny in my FB news feed.
    If his sentiments are echoes by a significant number of former Sandernistas you may see the rise of some viable 3rd parties as a result of the current farce.
    'Tis an ill wind that blows no good at all.
    Majority are going to Hillary because most realize a vote for Stein is a vote for Trump.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

There don't have to be very many Trump supporters for there to be too many for Fez to count.
      It's not that I want Trump to win--I think Hillary, though representing little more than the worst and least imaginative parts of the status quo, would be a far better choice than her opponent--I just think it's ridiculous to pretend she is not a very, very weak candidate. Seriously. EVERYONE HATES HER. Almost anybody else with even a drop of charisma would have been miles ahead of Trump by now. Even Sanders might well have been better in terms of electability; he has some ability to appeal to the disenfranchised outside the Dem bubble.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• It doesn't help that she appears, from my admittedly distant and isolated vantage point, to be running a singularly obnoxious campaign. I don't watch TV so I just see the crap her supporters share on FB, but that's enough. She's got this "clever" thing where people can submit photos of themselves and have a Trump-face superimposed in the corner together with some Trump-esque insult like "Loser!" or "Fat Pig!" smeared across the face itself. The idea being to show that her opponent is so crass as to hurl shallow personal insults, whereas she is only crass enough to repeat the insults in a context where he did not use them, and to pretend that this is somehow entertaining or interesting.
        1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
          It's not that I want Trump to win--I think Hillary, though representing little more than the worst and least imaginative parts of the status quo, would be a far better choice than her opponent--I just think it's ridiculous to pretend she is not a very, very weak candidate. Seriously. EVERYONE HATES HER. Almost anybody else with even a drop of charisma would have been miles ahead of Trump by now. Even Sanders might well have been better in terms of electability; he has some ability to appeal to the disenfranchised outside the Dem bubble.
          Speak for yourself please. Everybody hates Trump more. That is what will matter in the end.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It doesn't help that she appears, from my admittedly distant and isolated vantage point, to be running a singularly obnoxious campaign. I don't watch TV so I just see the crap her supporters share on FB, but that's enough. She's got this "clever" thing where people can submit photos of themselves and have a Trump-face superimposed in the corner together with some Trump-esque insult like "Loser!" or "Fat Pig!" smeared across the face itself. The idea being to show that her opponent is so crass as to hurl shallow personal insults, whereas she is only crass enough to repeat the insults in a context where he did not use them, and to pretend that this is somehow entertaining or interesting.
            I don't see many Hillary supporters doing that at all. J do see Trump supporters engaging in hysterical and nasty attacks, sometimes border lining on violence. Every candidate does have their "problem" supporters. Trump just happens to have far many more problem children as I call them.

Comment

Agreed. The only reason she has a chance is the awfulness of her opponent.
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• I must clarify she wasn't my first choice for the candidacy (Biden actually was). The prospect of a man disapproved by 60-70% of voters (depending on the poll and so vile as Trump becoming President is disturbing. I will support her keenly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
                  Majority are going to Hillary because most realize a vote for Stein is a vote for Trump.

No.

A vote for Stein is a vote for Stein.
                  And all she needs is 15% of the votes to get into the national debates next election and meaningful third party status.
                  So the Sandernistas who were supporting Sanders because of the ideas he was promoting should consider voting Stein. That way they get a chance at some representation in 4 years.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Speak for yourself please. Everybody hates Trump more. That is what will matter in the end.
                    Don't count on it.

Personally, I'm hoping they both get indicted in the next couple of months and both of them spend the next 4 years in jail.

Comment

No.

A vote for Stein is a vote for Stein.
                      And all she needs is 15% of the votes to get into the national debates next election and meaningful third party status.
                      So the Sandernistas who were supporting Sanders because of the ideas he was promoting should consider voting Stein. That way they get a chance at some representation in 4 years.
                      You clearly don't understand American politics. Most Sanders supporters are going for Hillary though. Third party candidacies amount to nothing in this country. And 15%? Lol. Fat chance.

Comment

Don't count on it.

Personally, I'm hoping they both get indicted in the next couple of months and both of them spend the next 4 years in jail.
                        Hillary no. Trump it could happen if the Trump U care turns into a criminal case. Civil cases can do that sometimes.

Comment

I must clarify she wasn't my first choice for the candidacy (Biden actually was). The prospect of a man disapproved by 60-70% of voters (depending on the poll and so vile as Trump becoming President is disturbing. I will support her keenly.
                          Uhhh... isn't Hillary averaging about 55% unfavorable ratings in all the polls.
                          The prospect of her becoming President is disturbing as well.

I'm not a Trump supporter, but Hillary has serious problems as well.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don't count on it.

My wife prefers a scenario wherein the winner (whichever it is) promptly dies, and his/her empty-suit VP turns out to be a marginally competent leader given the chance. I'm not too confident in that prospect, but then all I know of the respective veeps is:

-Kaine is one of those Kerry-type "pro-life" candidates who personally think abortion is murder or murder-ish but insist that we should do nothing to impede it, ie either a moral coward, a ninny, or an outright shyster.
                            -Pence, or whatever his name is, is that guy who tried the Indiana RFRA and then retreated with his tail between his legs at the first sign of trouble. So unpalatable from basically everywhere on the political spectrum.
                            1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                              Uhhh... isn't Hillary averaging about 55% unfavorable ratings in all the polls.
                              The prospect of her becoming President is disturbing as well.

I'm not a Trump supporter, but Hillary has serious problems as well.
                              As long as she could get her favorables back up a bit, she will be fine. 50/50.

Joe was really my first choice back before the primaries.

Comment

• I think Joe would have demolished Trump.

I think it likely that Kasich would defeat Hillary (or Bernie).

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X