Why are the betting markets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh god. He lives in California.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
      For a candidate that would pretty much only help Trump? The only one I think that could hurt Trump is Johnson. Maybe.

I'm a realist. That's all.
      Help Trump? Are you high? Do you think there is any way Trump would win California? Either way it is my vote, MY vote, and I do not owe it to anyone and will use it for the candidate who most closely matches my political positions. Hillary has not earned MY vote and maybe the major political parties would become more responsive if more people were willing to walk away from a party who hasn't bothered to earn their vote.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
        Yes, Dinner. You mustn't throw your vote away; you have a very good chance of personally determining where California's electoral votes go.

I disagree. I think it would be awesome to see the Clintons arguing against allowing sex offenders into the White House.
        I never claimed I would effect any outcome in any way. I did say my vote was my vote and I don't automatically owe it to any party. It isn't much but it is my one chance to influence politics and I intend to use it to promote the candidate which most closely matches my positions. I do think the country would be better off if we escaped the binary trap of the two party system as with more competition all parties would have to become more responsive to the will of the people and that is a good thing. The UK really has become more politically dynamic since we saw the rise of third parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          Help Trump? Are you high? Do you think there is any way Trump would win California? Either way it is my vote, MY vote, and I do not owe it to anyone and will use it for the candidate who most closely matches my political positions. Hillary has not earned MY vote and maybe the major political parties would become more responsive if more people were willing to walk away from a party who hasn't bothered to earn their vote.
          This just goes to prove you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about and I have no reason to believe you live in California. Your vote doesn't really matter to me. I doubt you'll voting anyways. You'll probably stay home and watch the news instead. Hillary has earned plenty of votes and that will be more than enough in the end.

By the way, most of California disagrees with you... if you do in fact live here.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• You are a precious little snow flake, man. You are more than a little off of your rocker but you are still precious.

Comment

Very good post, and I completely agree with your conclusion. The parties rely far, far too much on votes they just assume they'll be given, and it's very damaging long term. In the UK it's led to the Labour Party almost losing a huge part of its base.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Very good post, and I completely agree with your conclusion. The parties rely far, far too much on votes they just assume they'll be given, and it's very damaging long term. In the UK it's led to the Labour Party almost losing a huge part of its base.
                Where have you been the past decade? The democrats have a wide coalition of voters. Almost a rainbow coalition. they have support from women (who are the majority), ethnic and racial minorities, and from major cities.

Trump insulting that late veteran's family may have been a bridge too far. What the **** has Trump sacrificed for this country? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the man has had five or six military deferments. Meaning he got out of serving. He insulted the memory of a man who volunteered and sacrificed his life to save his fellow men.

Trump is finished after this one. It wouldn't surprise me if he falls into the lower 30s now.

Comment

• Okay, at this point it's painfully clear that Fez has merely reversed polarity, not actually become more open to reasonable discussion, so howzabout we let the grownups have a turn here?

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                  I think the election has become almost purely about parties, not candidates. How could it not, with both candidates being deeply divisive even among their own ostensible followers? Few people want either in charge, so the election is going to become a sign-up by tribal affiliation. The people who don't have tribes sit dispiritedly on the sidelines unless and until they actually find a reason to feel a strong preference for either candidate--which just ain't that likely. Everybody knew that he was a vile megalomaniac, and that she was a conniving android, years ago. Not much is going to make a dent in either impression.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right, etc.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• No arguments here. It feels like a very large number of people are motivated purely by which candidate they perceive as the lesser of the two evils. I read an interesting article earlier about a town in NC where it was clear from the interviews that they didn't actually like Trump (and several said they just wished he'd 'shut his mouth') but that the hatred they had for the Clintons over NAFTA meant they could never, ever vote for her. You had lifelong Republicans saying it was the worst pair of candidates possible.

Comment

• Hillary is probably going to win this by close to 380-390 electoral votes and may even capture a Southern state or two.

not actually become more open to reasonable discussion, so howzabout we let the grownups have a turn here?
                      How about you start acting like a grown-up?

Comment

• Wait... Did the guy spouting fantasies actually try to tell other people to grow up?

Hillary will likely narrowly win but the election is going to come down to Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Trump has to win all three in order to win and Hillary just has to win one of them.
                        Last edited by Dinner; July 31, 2016, 17:20.

Comment

Wait... Did the guy spouting fantasies actually try to tell other people to grow up?

Hillary will likely narrowly win but the election is going to come down to Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Trump has to win all three in order to win and Hillary just has to win one of them.
                          Your entire belief system is built on fantasy. You think you're so special and you try to "elevate" yourself. But most of your views are nonsense.

Comment

• If you have me, Dinner, Ken, Ellestar, BK, C0ckney, Thoth, and who knows how many other posters somehow all united against your opinion despite our vastly disparate worldviews, it should at least give you pause for thought.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              If you have me, Dinner, Ken, Ellestar, BK, C0ckney, Thoth, and who knows how many other posters somehow all united against your opinion despite our vastly disparate worldviews, it should at least give you pause for thought.
                              Um there are plenty of others who agree with me on here. And you citing BK and Ellestar as helping your cause basically discredits every thing you say. And no. No pause for thought. I know my views are shared by millions. I also know some brownnosing right of center and right wing political hacks don't sway me.

Comment

• BTW, BK? Really? Ming basically made him look like a misinformed fool. You really ought to pick your examples a bit better. Try not citing tablet warrior Cockney, bible thumping BK and Putin's personal spokesperson Ellestar.

Bad... Bad... Really bad. I expected better from you. And none of those trolls you cited have given me any reason to question my own worldviews which are formed by years of thorough investigation and empirical evidence.

Reality is left wing.

Comment

Working...
                                X