Which Religion's Slavers Were Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Religion's Slavers Were Better?

I'll admit I don't have a good grasp on how conversion happens at all, but this bit of American history has always seemed very strange to me. Why would people who were abducted from their continent and/or kept as chattel slaves ever see anything even remotely appealing in the alien religious beliefs of their oppressors? What thought process is operating here that makes this likely, such that hundreds of years later African Americans are one of the more Christian segments of our population?
    Christianity, especially in the British Empire actually freed the slaves. Islam, especially in Africa, still runs slave rings today.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Interesting little article about christianity and slavery :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Christianity, especially in the British Empire actually freed the slaves.
      When a rapist drives his victim home afterwards, he's still a rapist.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Islam, especially in Africa, still runs slave rings today.
      There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. Are you suggesting they are all supportive of slavery?

Comment

There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. Are you suggesting they are all supportive of slavery?
        Many do and they still operate slave rings in Africa. Many Muslims believe that the only real muslims are Arabs and that blacks are an inferior race.

Then why didn't another culture actually free the slaves? Since, as we all know, slavery is a purely Christian phenomenon.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          So you're a rapist?

Only if they believe in Islam.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Gee, Christians had no problem with slavery. It's in the Bible that it was OK.
            So I guess your saying that if a Christian doesn't believe in slavery they aren't true Christians.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              Gee, Christians had no problem with slavery. It's in the Bible that it was OK.
              So I guess your saying that if a Christian doesn't believe in slavery they aren't true Christians.

Give me the verse that says that a Christian has to believe in slavery?

Comment

It also says it's ok to stone sinners... do you stone sinners?
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  It also says it's ok to stone sinners... do you stone sinners?
                  The only thing that's obvious is that you don't understand the bible. No, I don't stone sinners. I would have to start with myself. But the Koran and other holy books of Islam make it clear that the highest figure in Islam strongly favored slavery. There are many, many verses regarding slavery. Here is one...

A slave-girl belonging to the house of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) committed fornication. He (the Prophet) said: Rush up, Ali, and inflict the prescribed punishment on her. I then hurried up, and saw that blood was flowing from her, and did not stop. So I came to him and he said: Have you finished inflicting (punishment on her)? I said: I went to her while her blood was flowing. He said: Leave her alone till her bleeding stops; then inflict the prescribed punishment on her. And inflict the prescribed punishment on those whom your right hands possess (i.e. slaves).

Comment

Discuss the narrative of the full Bible where it expresses that sinners should be stoned or that Christians should believe in slavery.

Remember that the Bible is not a rulebook. It is a history of a people's experience with God.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It is a major difference between the Bible and the Quran. The Quran is much more of rulebook, sort of like Deuteronomy (which both Christians and Jews say is was a rulebook for 1000BC Israel given by Moses... or an interpretation of that rulebook at 300 BC ).

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

**** you, BK. Just **** you. **** you for being completely unable to stay on topic and derailing the thread with your bigoted bull**** and trolling others into responding to your tired old **** with the same goddamn arguments we've been having with you for over a decade. You are such a terrible piece of **** whose only function on this site is to destroy conversation and discussion. What an awful, slimy, filthy piece of crap you are. Can't you have the goddamn decency to shut the **** up and keep your awful beliefs to yourself?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"Hey, why do some people drive Fords?"

"Toyotas are much worse than Fords. Toyotas are death traps!"

**** you. Not going to try to have conversations about religion on Apolyton anymore. Just **** you.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sorry. Last time I got pissed off by BK BS, I left the site for months. I don't want to leave, so instead I'm unleashing my anger on BK directly. **** you, BK.

Comment

FWIW, Lori, I was thinking the same thing.
                              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                              X