• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A state worse than Texas?

I know, surely there can't be, right?

Fracking is OK: http://gu.com/p/4fkfd?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Oklahoma!

It always passes under the radar because of the stupidity and sheer scale of stories of its larger neighbour...

But the way it's treating fracking is seriously dumb. Come to think of it, OK is that dumb state that didn't build tornado shelters despite being in tornado alley and all those people died a few years back - seriously dumb!

Not forgetting the Oklahoma bombing, so clearly full of right-wing crazies!

We don't have any OK posters do we? I imagine they're too stupid to understand the internets, so we're probably safe...

I'd have a field day if I knew we had some 'Backwards Texans' on poly!

Fracking is fine as long as they are regulated to make sure the ground water sources are not contaminated. Go shag a sheep, you Welshman.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Mississippi seems pretty bad.

Comment

Australia
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Illinois.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Does Washington DC count?
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Not a state.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                Australia
                Actually, you guys got ranked #2 in quality of life recently.

Comment

we cheated, we're bad, very bad
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    Fracking is fine as long as they are regulated to make sure the ground water sources are not contaminated. Go shag a sheep, you Welshman.
                    Clearly you didn't read the link

Comment

This is the nicest thing Moby has ever said about Texas.

Comment

I believe you are not wrong.

I did find San Antonio to be a nice place overall when I visited.

Comment

Kid is from Oklahoma! It all makes complete and utter sense!

Comment

Fracking, hydroelectric dams, wells (gas, oil, and water), and carbon sequestration can all cause earthquakes. So why the concentration on fracking? It's only turned the economics of fossil fuels upside down, after all.

I listened in fascination to a presentation from earthquake scientist Christian Klose at the 2006 American Geophysical Union fall meeting in which he showed how coal mining was responsible for earthquakes, including the most-damaging ever in Australia. (The 5.6-magnitude Newcastle earthquake of 1989, though relatively small by international comparison, killed 13 people.) The removal of coal, rock and, especially, water from underground can cause enough stress to trigger an earthquake, Klose said. Other potential earthquake triggers he mentioned were oil and gas extraction, creation of reservoirs behind dams and, he conjectured, sequestering carbon dioxide underground.
                            Read the rest here.

I remember reading up on this in my Structural Geology course back in...1990? Back then it was all about the dams...and a hazardous waste injection site at an Army chemical weapon disposal facility. Anyhoo, the upshot is that anything that can stress or lube an old fault can start it up again.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The removal of coal, rock and, especially, water from underground can cause enough stress to trigger an earthquake

Actually, it did not cause any stress. Before the over burden was removed things were at equalbrium was far as pressures were concerned. By removing the over burden they caused a classic unloading earthquake.

You can also have loading quakes where you put a lot of new weight onto a system thus changing the stresses and causing a quake. Dams do this not to infrequently.

Comment

Working...
                              X