No announcement yet.

Christian Arrested!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I;ll take that as a 'yes, it would kill me'. ok.... post on.

Comment

he's getting a law degree now I think I read. that's got to cost some bucks. I think the families of the victims pay taxes... hmmmm...

this is a whole different thread.

Comment

She'll have book deals aplenty whether she planned it that way or not. Don't know what exactly she was thinking, but I suspect she'll get out of jail without recanting somehow.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Thanks Elok - the thread engineer - gettings us back online.

She better give ALL the book money to church. It's what God would want. Right?

Comment

she'd, of course, buy her meth addicted family a new home
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

why isn't she just fired?

Comment

She's an elected official. Can't be fired. She can be impeached, but that would take a while.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                  why isn't she just fired?
                  She is an elected official and would have to be impeached by the legislature and the legislature is not in session IIRC.

x-post

Comment

Because she is an elected official. Now i don't really understand why you would Need to elect someone to a Clerk Position.. but hey =)

I find that even more weird than the 'Elect your Sheriff' -System which at least had some sense in the historical Wild-West Context.

/xx-post
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

We elect almost everyone here. It gets really silly (as a lawyer, the election of County and State Judges is like WTF to me).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"good old boys" club

Comment

I can see her getting out without signing by her no longer being in office. Either through some special election or simply from her term being up. Once that happens, she is no longer even able to sign and keeping her locked up would be pointless.
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

A person's rights (in this instance, being right to one's own religious belief) stop at the point that exercising one's rights would violate or deprive another person their rights.

Davis, the county clerk in one of the counties of the state of Kentucky, cannot use her personal religious belief in violation of secular government constitutional law, to deprive other people their legally protected rights.

Otherwise, this opens up a can of worms. Can a Muslim working as a clerk at an office for driver's licenses, refuse to issue driver's licenses to women, if that Muslim is so conservative/fundamentalist, as to believe that women cannot go anywhere unchaperoned??

Can a pacifist working as a clerk involving registration of gun ownership refuse to process such registration for gun owners if that pacifist believes gun ownership violates his own moral beliefs/values??

Can a devout Christian fundamentalist working as a county clerk refuse to issue a marriage license to an opposite sex couple, whom she personally knows to be atheists, because atheism goes against her religious belief??
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

the judge agreed with you. and kicked ass too.... jail until you sign. nice. very nice.

Comment

From an outside perspective it is curious why she did not go the pragmatic route- delegate gay couples to her deputy in the first place?

Agree with Elok- it is a Sham

// From WP- http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...0f8_story.html :

U.S. District Judge David L. Bunning had given Rowan County clerk Kim Davis the chance to stay out of jail if she “purged her contempt” by allowing one of her deputies to sign marriage licenses in her place. But through an attorney, Davis told the judge that “she does not grant her authority nor would allow any employee to issue those licenses.
                                Last edited by Main_Brain; September 3, 2015, 17:52. Reason: link corrected
                                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Working...
                                X