Christian Arrested!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Arrested!

Wow. And here I thought America had freedom of conscience. Sad. Hope that justice will prevail in the end.
    "I have no animosity toward anyone and harbor no ill will," she said in a statement issued Tuesday.

"To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God’s word. It is a matter of religious liberty."

"It is not a light issue for me. It is a heaven or hell decision. For me it is a decision of obedience," she said.

Brave woman!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...iage-licenses/
    Last edited by Le Fiancee; September 3, 2015, 14:02.
    "And the Light shone into the Darkness, but the Darkness did not understand..." John 1:5.

You are an idiot. The woman is a government official who is refusing to do her job, preventing people from getting their legal due because she doesn't want to do her job. How would you like it if a Quaker decided it was against their faith to issue gun licenses? Or better yet, if a Catholic decided that Protestants were heretics, refused to issue them marriage licenses.

She is being jailed for being in contempt of court.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If she doesn't want to do her job she should resign. A Catholic couldn't deny a marriage license to someone who divorced and decided to remarry (something this government official has done twice btw).

Comment

Like Christian Pharmacists who do not support abortion? Lawyers who do not support gay marriage? Teachers who do not support gay marriage? Christian Florists? Christian photographers? Christian Bakers?

That's a pretty long list already. How much longer will it get?

Either freedom of conscience protects you or it does not. As a fellow Christian, one would think that you would support protecting Christians, Imran.
        "And the Light shone into the Darkness, but the Darkness did not understand..." John 1:5.

Comment

In agreement, minus the "You are an idiot" part. She is following her conscience, true, but she is also refusing to do the prescribed duties of her position, while still collecting a paycheck. The ethical choice would be to resign her position.

edit: private businesses are another issue entirely.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
            If she doesn't want to do her job she should resign.
            I thought her job was to uphold the laws of the American state of Kentucky?

Comment

Originally posted by Le Fiancee View Post
              Like Christian Pharmacists who do not support abortion? Lawyers who do not support gay marriage? Teachers who do not support gay marriage? Christian Florists? Christian photographers? Christian Bakers?

That's a pretty long list already. How much longer will it get?

Either freedom of conscience protects you or it does not. As a fellow Christian, one would think that you would support protecting Christians, Imran.
              If they violate a court order and are found in contempt of court, every single one of them should go to jail. That's what happens when you are in contempt of court.

I support Christians, I don't support Christians using the power of the state to force their religious beliefs on others, as if they are the Roman Empire reborn. There is a reason our government is secular.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The laws of Kentucky now require her to issue marriage certificates. She is not.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  In agreement, minus the "You are an idiot" part. She is following her conscience, true, but she is also refusing to do the prescribed duties of her position, while still collecting a paycheck. The ethical choice would be to resign her position. edit: private businesses are another issue entirely.
                  Given that Christians have already been fined in the American state of Oregon, why would you say that private businesses are another issue entirely? They are not. Clearly this is a religious liberty issue.

Do you really trust the American state to respect Christian values when they are willing to fine and arrest people for standing behind them?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                    The laws of Kentucky now require her to issue marriage certificates. She is not.
                    Does the current law of the American state of Kentucky forbid marriage licenses for gay marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      If they violate a court order and are found in contempt of court, every single one of them should go to jail. That's what happens when you are in contempt of court. I support Christians, I don't support Christians using the power of the state to force their religious beliefs on others, as if they are the Roman Empire reborn. There is a reason our government is secular.
                      Their religious beliefs? Are you telling me that you support gay marriage?

Is that why you're ok with the state arresting Christians?

Comment

Does the current law of the American state of Kentucky forbid marriage licenses for gay marriage?
                        The ruling of the US Supreme Court in Obergfell v. Hodges supersedes all US state laws and makes those that forbid gay marriage invalid because they are unconstitutional.

Comment

Are you telling me that you support gay marriage?
                          Of course. Our God wants all of His children, including those who are LGBT, whom He made that way, to experience the joys and blessings of marriage.

Is that why you're ok with the state arresting Christians?
                          I'm ok with the state arresting people who are in contempt of court - you know, criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            Of course. Our God wants all of His children, including those who are LGBT, whom He made that way, to experience the joys and blessings of marriage. I'm ok with the state arresting people who are in contempt of court - you know, criminals.
                            Blessings, including children?

Would you be ok with the state arresting someone if they issued a bigamous marriage license?
                            The ruling of the US Supreme Court in Obergfell v. Hodges supersedes all US state laws and makes those that forbid gay marriage invalid because they are unconstitutional.
                            Ok, well, this assumes then that the laws of the American state of Kentucky, laws which this woman pledged to uphold, does bar gay marriage. Could you not arrest this woman for failing to uphold her contract?

I'm not very familiar with the American constitution, but I'm pretty sure that Jefferson and Washington and all those men didn't put anything in there concerning gay marriage. You see, they were Christians, Imran. I'm also pretty sure they'd be horrified with their state arresting a woman for stating and standing by her faith.
                            Last edited by Le Fiancee; September 3, 2015, 14:33.

Comment

Blessings, including children?
                              Of course! We have LGBT members in our church that have children.

Would you be ok with the state arresting someone if they issued a bigamous marriage license?
                              If it was contrary to a court order? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X