Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What conspiracy theories and pseudoscience did you used to believe in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
    The thing is that the Illluminatus trilogy was supposed to be a pisstake on conspiracy theory, but yet people read it and wanted to believe. And yes, the drugs may have had something to do with it.
    The rational part of me knew it was all just a nicely detailed fiction, but for some (mildly psychedelic) reason, this struck a chord with me. It was also the early days of Dungeons & Dragons, and I was playing a ton of that. In fact, I designed a D&D world based around the Illuminatus mythos, so on some level, I clearly knew it was just a paranoid fantasy.

Good times.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

HC. Stop embarrassing yourself. It is cringeworthy to the extreme.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras View Post
        I was born in the USSR. I used to believe everything the loonie left believes. Until I turned 13, that is.
        Understandable given the circumstances. But with a lot of other things in life, going full ****** in the other direction isn't the answer.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          Back on-topic, I was a staunch Republican until I was 16.
          Yep. The republican platform.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            HC. Stop embarrassing yourself. It is cringeworthy to the extreme.
            The only people embarrassing themselves are the ones disagreeing with experts on medicine, medical research, and statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              BK is real and will return.
              BK, Kidicious and Mr. Fun are all the manifestations of one very, very troubled person.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Even though the (or some) science is still out or inconclusive regarding the benefits of taking omega-3 supplements, I'm a big advocate of it.

just anecdotally (I know, worthless), it has helped me and still does

I think a lot of the claims that are dubious are that it helps protect against heart disease and that sort of thing. But for mental health and weight loss (and strength training), I would recommend it.

Not sure if that qualifies. If presented with conclusive evidence saying it is worthless, I'd change my mind. Certainly.
                Omega 3 Fatty Acids absolutely will lower your triglycerides. They are a legitimate form of therapy for hyperlipidemia. In fact they are amongst the most effective agents to treat this disorder. Niacin and binding agents are generally rather weak, Fibrates are effective but there is always the fear that they will interact with Statins, making muscle pain and rhabdomyolysis more likely. I prescribe them frequently, though since they're available OTC many insurance companies won't pay for them.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  The only people embarrassing themselves are the ones disagreeing with experts on medicine, medical research, and statistics, who I agree with.
                  FTFY
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    The only people embarrassing themselves are the ones disagreeing with experts on medicine, medical research, and statistics.
                    Yeah. So... you guys.

Isn't that what I just said?

The case regarding Agent Orange is more of a slam dunk than the link between human caused CO2 emissions and global warming.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Omega 3 Fatty Acids absolutely will lower your triglycerides. They are a legitimate form of therapy for hyperlipidemia. In fact they are amongst the most effective agents to treat this disorder. Niacin and binding agents are generally rather weak, Fibrates are effective but there is always the fear that they will interact with Statins, making muscle pain and rhabdomyolysis more likely. I prescribe them frequently, though since they're available OTC many insurance companies won't pay for them.

You would know more about that than I would. There were some studies/highly publicized news reports that I read in the last year that seemed to cast doubt on the efficacy of omega 3 supplementation.

And yes, the supplements can be pricey. I like Carlson's Cod Liver Oil (lemon flavored) personally. My brain doc got me on it years ago. I take between 3-5g per day.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        The rational part of me knew it was all just a nicely detailed fiction, but for some (mildly psychedelic) reason, this struck a chord with me. It was also the early days of Dungeons & Dragons, and I was playing a ton of that. In fact, I designed a D&D world based around the Illuminatus mythos, so on some level, I clearly knew it was just a paranoid fantasy.

Good times.
                        I certainly played along with part of it for fun, psychedelic reasons. I had friends with whom I would share greetings of "Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!" for years, and used to go around finding meaningful synchronicities everywhere. Coincidence or Conspiracy? :sherlock:

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                          BK, Kidicious and Mr. Fun are all the manifestations of one very, very troubled person.
                          An interesting point you make there, Herr Doctor. Although it is years since I posted here regularly, those three names you mention are all people I quickly learned to avoid conversing with. No sense of humour for starters. No warmth either. Do you think they might have been ... aliens?

Comment

Nice to see you posting more again, CH
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah. So... you guys.

Isn't that what I just said?

The case regarding Agent Orange is more of a slam dunk than the link between human caused CO2 emissions and global warming.
                              If it's such a slam dunk how come you can't point to any studies which conclusively link it to cancer?

There aren't any such studies. The most you can show is that a) Agent Orange has dioxin and b) Dioxin causes cancer. But you can't show that the concentrations present in Agent Orange cause cancer, and you can't even show that people exposed to Agent Orange have abnormal exposure to dioxins.

Agent Orange has never been conclusively shown to be seriously carcinogenic. I challenge you to find evidence that shows otherwise.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Which is why the manufacturers settled for $180m back in 1984. Because big corporations just love giving away money for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X