star wars question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
    Couldn't Lucas have just said, "IT'S JUST A MOVIE FOLKS".
    Yep. It's what he should have said.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      Couldn't Lucas have just said, "IT'S JUST A MOVIE FOLKS".
      Yeah, 'cuz that's a great way to build a media empire.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Imagine if Tolkien had just said "IT"S JUST A BOOK".

But yeah it is taken a bit too seriously and some really need to get a life.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In Tolkien's case he created multiple fake languages as background for his stories. He needed to get a life himself.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Exactly. Someone should have told Tolkien that it's just a book.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

He was an English professor, so it was kind of his job in a way too.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm told LoR is really about WW1, a personal reaction to the tragedy, though I find it hard to see - the orcs must be the Germans, the elves are a bit gay, the French? The Shire must be Britain...
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Tolkien himself specifically denied that allegorical connection. There are certainly a lot of influences on LOTR, but I don't think you can look at it and say it's a fantasy version of X.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Actually it was a condemnation of "modernism". In the forward of the third book JR admits that one part of the book is just a tiny bit of an analogy. In the chapter on the scouring of the shire he describes how the Orcs and certain Hobbit quislings ruined a pond in the shire by building workshops which spilled waste products into the pond and into the air. Tolkien admits that that section was inspired by something that happened in his youth. He spent some years of his childhood living in the country near a little pond. He moved away, then returned many years later only to discover that his beloved pond had been turned into a waste dump for some adjacent factories. The language he uses to describe the ruination of the shire by Sauron's minions in that chapter though is found throughout all three books: "foul" this, "dark" that, etc., etc. etc. It seems to me that the whole series of books represents Tolkien's disdain for "modernism", a disdain that was a major theme of the literary society he founded with C. S. Lewis.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I look at it as a celebration and homage to celtic ways, spirituality and lost worlds. I connect with Tolkien in that way. Tolkien sad he borrowed heavily from the runic past, his area of study, which was disappearing because of the modern world. So that interpretation makes sense.

It was my know-it-all sons that rubbished that and claimed it's about WW1.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                        Actually it was a condemnation of "modernism". In the forward of the third book JR admits that one part of the book is just a tiny bit of an analogy. In the chapter on the scouring of the shire he describes how the Orcs and certain Hobbit quislings ruined a pond in the shire by building workshops which spilled waste products into the pond and into the air. Tolkien admits that that section was inspired by something that happened in his youth. He spent some years of his childhood living in the country near a little pond. He moved away, then returned many years later only to discover that his beloved pond had been turned into a waste dump for some adjacent factories. The language he uses to describe the ruination of the shire by Sauron's minions in that chapter though is found throughout all three books: "foul" this, "dark" that, etc., etc. etc. It seems to me that the whole series of books represents Tolkien's disdain for "modernism", a disdain that was a major theme of the literary society he founded with C. S. Lewis.
                        And thanks to the technology that modernism grants us, many millions of people completely fail to see that message in his work.

Comment

Whatever his intent, the result is clear ... LotR is a Christian gateway to homoerotic fanfic.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Please don't encourage him.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

that's just wrong...

Comment

Working...
                                X