Accepted a job offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's obviously afflicted by ague.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      It's a software engineering job in Tysons, not an investment banking job on Wall Street.
      I'm sorry... oh wait, two things to avoid in life would include job in banking and software engineering. Don't look at the money, it's a distraction. It the devil asked you if he could have your soul, you wouldn't be impressed by a salary.

But congrats on the job!
      Last edited by Pekka; November 30, 2014, 16:11.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The only problem with programming is that you might wind up with an evil / incompetent boss who expects you to work eighty hours a week. Generally you can weed these jobs out in the interviewing process, and worst case you can just quit and find a better job.

In the past ten years I've only had to work a few sixty hour weeks, and these were the result of evil / incompetent clients instead of evil / incompetent bosses. In only one case did my boss let the client continue to do this on a regular basis, in which case I quit and found a better job.
        Last edited by loinburger; November 30, 2014, 16:27.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          Sorry, was my pun not obvious enough.
          It was acute pun.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            My two favourite cities.
            I remember downtown Prague used to be overrun with prostitutes once the sun went down. Has it gotten better since the 1990s?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              I'm putting my money in index mutual funds. I have no pretensions about being able to beat the market.
              However, I do have pretensions about being able to beat the market (as defined arbitrarily by the S&P 500 index).
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                I remember downtown Prague used to be overrun with prostitutes once the sun went down. Has it gotten better since the 1990s?
                You mean overrun by prostitutes before sundown?

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  I havent been for about 7-8 years, but it was fine then. You had to be careful of pickpockets in the tourist areas though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    You mean overrun by prostitutes before sundown?
                    No. During the daytime, I did not see them. At night though.................

Comment

I meant that's how it gets better

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                        It is spelt soupçon.

Really molly, I am disappointed. Not a grave mistake at least.
                        My keyboard doesn't do cedillas. It's acutely obtuse when it comes to foreign pronunciation and accents.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Is it worth visiting any of the non-****ty Pacific countries like Japan, South Korea, New Zealand or Australia? I suspect they are more expensive than Europe. But I thought I'd ask.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Why would any of those NOT be worth visiting?

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              Why would any of those NOT be worth visiting?
                              It's a question of opportunity cost. I'm not going to more than one place. I'm trying to figure out which place is the best value for my time and money.

Also: Apparently they think I'm awesome and so I'm being hired as a Senior Associate Software Engineer, instead of Associate Software Engineer. Whatever that means. It seems to include more money, so that's nice

To everyone who said congratulations: Thanks I'm excited.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Limiting yourself to one place isn't really necessary. Short range flights can be very cheap, so you could very easily just visit a region and hop between a number of places.

Comment

Working...
                                X