Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Maher: Islam is inherently worse than other religions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brilliant. so instead of relying of how people define their own religious views, we should just make them up, presumably for our own amusement.

let me try. kidicious is not a christian, he's a satanist.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• It doesn't surprise me that you call me a satanist.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• it doesn't surprise me that you've understood nothing.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
          I really like your sig.

Do you think it could also be said about Islam?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• I don't think Kid is a Christian anymore... he doesn't talk about it like he used to and seems to back some strange things for a self-professed Christian (then again, so does MrFun, so who knows).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• possibly, probably, certainly. like all religions islam (and i will admit that i know rather less about islam than i know about christianity) can interpreted in a number of ways, depending on which aspects are emphasised, and how certain parts are viewed through the prism of the cultural and social contexts in which they operate. this is why there is, just like with other religions, an enormous variety of interpretations, influenced by the diverse muslim cultures. as such it's very hard to understand what the islamic (or christian, or jewish) way is, shorn of the cultural context which, for me at least, is a crucial part of the religion itself.

tldr: it could, but i'm not sure it would mean that much.

edit: was responding to TMM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                We've established quite well that the Christian nations' body count is significantly worse than Muslim nations'.

The response is that in the case of Christians, textual support is not the cause.

Fair enough. Since you assume that in cases of violent political outcomes, textual ideological support has to be a cause, then there must be, somewhere, textual support leading certain nations to adopt aggressive policies. This implies that there is an ideology running within Christian people, not necessarily religious, but still present within, that is even worse than Islam; and that the continued action of the Christian religion has not been able to suppress it.

Kid, Felch, Oerdin: please point out this doctrine for us, and its source.
                Doctrine? I don't believe on doctrine. Why is it so hard for you to understand that many Christians believe in civilization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  I don't think Kid is a Christian anymore... he doesn't talk about it like he used to and seems to back some strange things for a self-professed Christian (then again, so does MrFun, so who knows).
                  perhaps, although according to him what he calls himself isn't important, it's other people's opinions that matter.

Comment

• French Muslim Council officially takes position against jihadists

Unsurprisingly, I found no US media to report this (yet)
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Because it's France.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        perhaps, although according to him what he calls himself isn't important, it's other people's opinions that matter.
                        It doesn't matter what anyone calls me. It only matters what I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          Because it's France.
                          It is news though

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                            We've established quite well that the Christian nations' body count is significantly worse than Muslim nations'.

The response is that in the case of Christians, textual support is not the cause.
                            The cause is technological and organizational sophistication.

Christian countries have led the world in scientific achievement for the past several hundred years. They have also proven the best able at organizing and coordinating their populations to achieve political goals. The higher body count is a result of these factors, not anything specific to Christianity.

It's irrelevant though, because Maher isn't talking about body counts, he's talking about illiberal societies. Which is what we are discussing. Muslim societies are illiberal because Islam is a political religion, that allows for no separation between faith and government. Christians have always had room for a distinction (e.g. Matthew 22:21).
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                              brilliant. so instead of relying of how people define their own religious views, we should just make them up, presumably for our own amusement.

let me try. kidicious is not a christian, he's a satanist.
                              Called it!
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                I don't think Kid is a Christian anymore... he doesn't talk about it like he used to and seems to back some strange things for a self-professed Christian (then again, so does MrFun, so who knows).
                                Mars Hill aficionado.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X