The Great Scottish FREEEEEEEEEDOOOMMMMM!!!!1!!! vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
    the funny thing is all they need in order to get rid of that is a couple of laws.
    they never legislate them.
    they keep their power. they keep their perks. for how long is the question.
    An example of such laws is the anti-nepotism law in Australia. It forces all jobs to be advertised and the job to be awarded to the most deserving. So all these jobs get advertised as required by law, hundreds apply, and the person ear-marked for it before it was advertised gets it. Great in principal, but wastes everyone's time.

Edit: Occasionally someone challenges the decision and gets branded as a troublemaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
      If we ignore corporate corruptions.
      if we include theft and embezzlement from a private entity in our definition of corruption.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
        if we include theft and embezzlement from a private entity in our definition of corruption.
        What about bribing a purchase manager to buy from you and not a competitor?

Or any corporate governance subversion.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
          Seems like they'd do best without one (or many). (Replace {support} with {constrain}).
          Corporations are legal constructs, how would they operate without that framework?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Corporations are legal constructs, how would they operate without that framework?
            To get up and running, but once they're going...

Comment

They could adopt the Mafia empire construct.

Comment

What about bribing a purchase manager to buy from you and not a competitor?

Or any corporate governance subversion.
                yeah ok fair enough.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

They could adopt the Mafia empire construct.
                  That's not a corporation.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Well, no matter whether it is a "Yes" or "No" ...
                    roughly half of the inhabitants of scotland will be disappointed by the result
                    (at least if it will be as close run as the polls suggest)
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• It appears to me that a lot of the Americans rooting for Scottish independence (and there are more than a few on my Facebook feed, unfortunately), would be utter aghast if Texas attempted the same thing for the same reasons. And, after all, Texas, which was an independent country at the time, only joined with the Union in the 1845.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Texas would also be a lot more economically viable than Scotland as an independent state. And it already has a core cadre of military personnel, the full time members of the National Guard. And, like Scotland, it would be able to pursue a legislative agenda more in line with the preferences of the residents, which it can't as part of the United States.

However, neither Texas nor Scotland should pursue independence.

Comment

• Yep.

But it makes it so obvious that American rooters for independence basically are treating this as some game. Or continuing Mel Gibson's fight against the English...
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's not a corporation.
                            I was trying to give an example of a non legal construct. By definition it wouldn't be a corporation.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              I mustnt be getting enough sleep lately, I can't decide whether that was an attack on me or just Tory voters in general.

Just on stereotypical Tory voters.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                It appears to me that a lot of the Americans rooting for Scottish independence (and there are more than a few on my Facebook feed, unfortunately), would be utter aghast if Texas attempted the same thing for the same reasons. And, after all, Texas, which was an independent country at the time, only joined with the Union in the 1845.
                                Would be largely the same effect. What little balls the country had would be split off from the main country. The leaving state would be severely impoverished while the parent state would further its descent into feminization. Albeit Texas has a brighter future than Scotland.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X