The Great Scottish FREEEEEEEEEDOOOMMMMM!!!!1!!! vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    Freedom is tomorrow, today they are voting.
    Can't they finish the vote within 2 hours of the polls closing?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• If Putin were running it, the results would be in before the polls closed.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        Corruption is the product of lots of things. You may get more with one system over another, but it is not unique to a political top down state apparatus.
        I agree. It's human nature. One of the bad parts. From what I've seen in corrupt countries, however, once the top is openly corrupt, the rest have no chance in that people at every level follow their lead. The worst I've witnessed is in the Philippines, there may be worse. Every system/country has to constantly fight against corruption, and one of the best ways is to decry it when you see it. Particularly when you vote.

Comment

• I think the biggest factor in corruption is poverty in general and specifically underpayment of public officials.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
            I think the biggest factor in corruption is poverty in general and specifically underpayment of public officials.
            That's certainly a big one.

Comment

• It's about opportunity (e.g. No questions asked), pressure (e.g., poverty, intimidation and/or incentives) and rationalisation (e.g., everyone else is corrupt so why should I be straight).

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                It's about opportunity (e.g. No questions asked), pressure (e.g., poverty, intimidation and/or incentives) and rationalisation (e.g., everyone else is corrupt so why should I be straight).
                I think you've covered it

Comment

• i think dauphin is right and you can have corruption with no state apparatus; a parent bribing a school to issue an exam certificate for their child who hadn't passed said exam, would be an example. however, i think that most examples of corruption involve a state agent, because corruption involves getting someone in authority to grant something outside of legitimate channels, or for someone in authority to ignore some wrongdoing (or the reverse, that is an official demanding money to perform some service, or to not create problems); those in authority generally being state agents.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• If we ignore corporate corruptions.

Comment

• Can corporations exist without a supporting state apparatus?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        Can corporations exist without a supporting state apparatus?
                        Seems like they'd do best without one (or many). (Replace {support} with {constrain}).

Comment

• Not easily, but you can have corrupted corporates operating with a squeaky clean non-corrupt state apparatus.

Comment

• an ephemism for corruption is "extra institutional methods of social consent".
                            there are books written about it. defending it the poor fecks.
                            it still sucks balls though anyway you call it. the sure way to feck up society as a whole
                            90% it comes from an abuse of power imho

Comment

• of course corruption serves a purpose. a very distinctive one.
                              the greek brend is called "clientelle state".
                              political parties "promise" favors in exchange for votes.
                              i.e. your kid can't find a job?
                              don't worry, we'll hire him in the public sector.
                              he's a dead beat? don't worry we'll protect him.

just be sure to keep voting for us. because if we go, his protecction will go too.

clientelle state. and it goes on even stronger now with the crisis.
                              the funny thing is all they need in order to get rid of that is a couple of laws.
                              they never legislate them.
                              they keep their power. they keep their perks. for how long is the question.

and of course after all this corruption the sh!t hits the fan and public institutions start deteriorating badly, they have the solution ready: privitizations of anything that can be privatized.

feck them hard

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; September 18, 2014, 09:54.

Comment

• I am against Scottish independence.
                                What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                                What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Working...
                                X