Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do gun owners ever feel guilty after a gun accident involving their gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    MRT, I think you have two problems:
    • One, usually people who lose a child to a gun accident don't spend long hours talking to the media afterwards. The ones who do are either a lot crazy, or care more about their political agenda than their own children, see option A.
    • Two, the people most likely to not value guns all that much and value their kids a lot *already made that choice*. Lots of people are like me - I don't exactly object to other people owning guns (I'm okay with gun control, okay with not with some restrictions), but I certainly won't allow a gun in the house, and if Grandma gets a gun (which may literally happen at some point) the kids won't be coming over anymore, period. (That said, I also fully intend to have my kids trained in gun safety including going to a range at some point. I just don't want one around the house.)

There are certainly some people on the margin, who like guns and want to have one but post-accident would change their minds - but I suspect a lot of people feel like some of the other posters here: even if it happened to them, guns aren't the problem, but rather improper storage and training. I also suspect a lot of them are like Mad Monk; they are pro gun, but if it happened to them they would personally change due to the remorse/guilt factor - but they're not going to become gun control advocates, either, and you won't hear from them much.
    I don't think you need to become an advocate or spend hours with Jim Lehrer, but I just havent seen any "The way we treated guns in this household was critical in this accident and I can assure you, it's made us consider our failings as parents and people".

I think I'd shed a tear.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Do gun owners ever feel guilty after a gun accident involving their gun?

You don't have kids, so I understand the lack of understanding. But if your kid just died, you aren't going to say something like that no matter what you think. You will look for someone to blame, but if you are really blaming yourself the odds are the first anyone will hear about it is when you are the next dead body.

More likely you will grieve in private and not speak to the media at all.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You've got to keep kids from all sorts of things that can kill them. In my apartment (which has no kids of course) in addition to guns I have solvents, medicines, and power tools that are all potentially deadly to children. Frankly, I'd be far more concerned with a child drinking drano than opening my safe, extracting a gun, loading it, cocking it, disabling the safety, and shooting himself.

Would I reconsider my own gun ownership if a close family member died in a gun accident? Almost certainly. Would I become a gun control advocate? No, probably not.

Comment

Why is it everything that makes people deficient as people is SOP for parents?

People aren't nearly introspective enough and now you're telling me that's a privilege of parenting?
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm saying you wouldn't understand the emotions involved, and why they aren't being _publically_ introspective, without being a parent. The emotions are in large part due to hormonal changes.

Comment

I agree that parenthood does something to the brain that makes it difficult for adults to think rationally.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Like, if your seven year old blew a hole in his chest at a home made gun range, would you reconsider the merits of your personal relationship with guns?
                Would your 7 year old grabbing your stash, getting high and then walking out into the street getting hit by a car cause you to reconsider your personal relationship with dope?

Gosh, this is a fun game.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Two, the people most likely to not value guns all that much and value their kids a lot *already made that choice*. Lots of people are like me - I don't exactly object to other people owning guns (I'm okay with gun control, okay with not with some restrictions), but I certainly won't allow a gun in the house, and if Grandma gets a gun (which may literally happen at some point) the kids won't be coming over anymore, period. (That said, I also fully intend to have my kids trained in gun safety including going to a range at some point. I just don't want one around the house.)
                  Interesting. I think it's entirely possible to secure weapons in such a fashion that other people would never know that they are there. Would you be offended if the owner of the house did not disclose to you prior to you visiting that he owned a gun?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

1. I hope so.
                    2. No, but I would probably bring up the subject with any parents of kids my children went to play regularly with. Just like I would discuss a pool or other potentially dangerous situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                      I don't think you need to become an advocate or spend hours with Jim Lehrer, but I just havent seen any "The way we treated guns in this household was critical in this accident and I can assure you, it's made us consider our failings as parents and people".

I think I'd shed a tear.
                      I watched a show where a number of kids had died in gun accidents, and some of the parents said they wished they'd never bought their kids guns and so on. None of them actually became totally anti-gun though. No idea how much of that was just selective editing and suchlike though.

Comment

2. No, but I would probably bring up the subject with any parents of kids my children went to play regularly with. Just like I would discuss a pool or other potentially dangerous situation.
                        Pools, fwiw are far more dangerous to children than firearms.

1. I hope so.
                        I'm curious as to what MRT would answer. And yes, if I owned a fire arm and because I did not secure it properly, it would change how I operated. That's why you do it right the first time. Guns are not toys.

Comment

If a seven year old shot himself with my gun I wouldn't rest until I found the b*****d who planted a gun on my premisis. This isn't Los Angeles you know!
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

If a seven year old shot himself with my gun I wouldn't rest until I found the b*****d who planted a gun on my premisis. This isn't Los Angeles you know!
                            What's your thoughts on Pool control, Doc Strangelove? Should there be requirements on securing your pool from unauthorized access?

Comment

Guns are less dangerous to have in the house than swimming pools, guys. Let's have some perspective please.

Besides, if you're responsible with the gun, it doesn't pose any risk to your kid. I'd rather my kid own a gun than play football.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                Guns are less dangerous to have in the house than swimming pools, guys. Let's have some perspective please.
                                citation needed
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X