X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
    Has anyone ever run the maths on that?
    Yes.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm aware that some of my resistance to the notion is simply that it deals with effects I can't perceive in my earthly environment and therefore have no experience of - but those maths don't seem to deal with fuel requirements.

I find the whole idea needlessly complicated in place of a very simple solution; if you had that much delta v to spend and control fine enough for a gravity tractor, why not boost the rock directly, assuming it's not a gravel cluster?
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

The assuming it's not a gravel cluster thing is the important part. The reality is you'd have to have extremely precise measurements of the composition, density, and mass of the asteroid in order to put a rocket on it, and getting that information is tricky. The gravity tractor lets you bypass all that, because they don't call it Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation for nothin'.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't deny that the notion has infinitely more merit for the gravel piles, which are not rare... It's just that I'll believe the concept is feasible when someone makes it work. We're quibbling about which is more tricky/complex, though, and I'll stand behind the direct boosting for solid rocks.

No pasarán

Comment

Gravel globs can be nuked. Small bits will burn up in the atmosphere before they hit the ground. Even if we could find asteroids really far out, trying to disturb their orbits might do more harm than good. It takes us awhile to collect enough data to plot orbits with a high degree of precision.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I say let the asteroids hit.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                Gravel globs can be nuked. Small bits will burn up in the atmosphere before they hit the ground. Even if we could find asteroids really far out, trying to disturb their orbits might do more harm than good. It takes us awhile to collect enough data to plot orbits with a high degree of precision.
                Nuking is incredibly inefficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                  ...and I'll stand behind the direct boosting for solid rocks.
                  Even if it is solid, there's still a lot we won't know about it. We won't know where its stress points are, its center of mass, its gas content. There's so much that can go wrong by just punching it in the face.
                  Last edited by Lorizael; May 5, 2014, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    Nuking is incredibly inefficient.
                    except that we have a lot of them already built and lying around....
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

I find the whole idea needlessly complicated in place of a very simple solution; if you had that much delta v to spend and control fine enough for a gravity tractor, why not boost the rock directly, assuming it's not a gravel cluster?
                      Lifting something out to orbit is massively costly. And ineffective given inertia.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes, for all the problems that go with nuking. Show me your ion drives up to the job and ready to go.

I'd submit that practicality dictates that we get the nuke option delivery systems up to snuff, and then work out the more complex schemes.

No pasarán

Comment

True. Also, I've just read that the current line of thinking with nukes is vaporizing a bit of the surface, which then acts like a rocket against the asteroid. So it's just another method of course correction rather than a method of total destruction.

Comment

It was never about total destruction. It was about knocking off course and breaking up into smaller pieces.

Comment

There is a lot of crap NASA is tracking:

NASA's Near-Earth Object (NEO) web-site. Data related to Earth impact risk, close-approaches, and much more.

Fortunately not much of it has much potential to do damage.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The likelihood of a catastrophic asteroid strike is vanishingly small. I'm not sure why you guys are quaking in fear.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X