X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i'm not sure why you fear quakers
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I used to be afraid of that evil old woman on the Quaker Oats boxes...
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
        I used to be afraid of that evil old woman on the Quaker Oats boxes...
        Quaking about Quaker Oats.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I was four and it was the 60's but yes.

Not as scary as Mr. Clean, of course.

I never did catch the Chuckwagon, either.

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            The likelihood of a catastrophic asteroid strike is vanishingly small. I'm not sure why you guys are quaking in fear.
            Actually, the likelihood is essentially 1. The likelihood that it happens tomorrow is vanishingly small. Of course, it will always be vanishingly small tomorrow, right up until the day our civilization ends.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Or we get a nice knock which does not exactly end the civilization, but makes us move our collective asses in a meaningful direction.
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

We'll just fight over what's left...

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                  Or we get a nice knock which does not exactly end the civilization, but makes us move our collective asses in a meaningful direction.
                  Or we get off this rock before the inevitable happens.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Well, if we get enough time, and do not kill each other in the meantime - we will get off this rock, just for fun, if no other better reason comes along.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

damn bugs almost got us

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Actually, the likelihood is essentially 1. The likelihood that it happens tomorrow is vanishingly small. Of course, it will always be vanishingly small tomorrow, right up until the day our civilization ends.
                        Don't be fatuous. The likelihood that it will happen in any of our lifetimes, or our children's lifteimes, or grandchildren's lifetimes is vanishingly small.

The whole "oh no asteroids!!111" crap is just sci fi nerds jacking off to Deep Impact and Larry Niven books and wishing they could ride in a galactic hydrogen ramjet.

We don't need a defense. Probability is our defense.
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

So sayeth the dinosaur.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Don't be fatuous. The likelihood that it will happen in any of our lifetimes, or our children's lifteimes, or grandchildren's lifetimes is vanishingly small.

The whole "oh no asteroids!!111" crap is just sci fi nerds jacking off to Deep Impact and Larry Niven books and wishing they could ride in a galactic hydrogen ramjet.

We don't need a defense. Probability is our defense.
                            If the odds of dying in a catastrophic asteroid impact in any given year are 1 in 65 million, then ~108 people die per year from catastrophic asteroid impacts. Don't you care that some of those 108 might be rich?
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No.

Don't be retarded, Lori.

Also, 1 in 65 million is probably way, way too high.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

For a mass extinction-level impact, probably. But the odds of us getting hit by something that could take out a city are significantly higher. That said, my naive calculation above doesn't really do justice to the effects of an extinction-level event. That is to say, if we get hit by another dinosaur-killer, it kills the 7 billion alive today but also ensures that no other humans are ever born. That is a mighty death toll to contend with, and it makes calculating the true risk of an impact event tricky.

Comment

Working...
                                X