Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    The level of corrupt money buying politicians here is more extreme than in most western countries. We truly have legalized bribery and then pretend we don't have an out of control corruption problem which is bringing the country to its knees.
    Has there ever been any academic study to support this? I'm not sure what constitutes "western" in your mind. Is all of OECD western? Just the EU, Canada, US, Australia, and NZ? Do Japan and South Korea count (even though they're clearly not west of much of anything).

I looked here, and we are on the low end of our peer group (Canada, Western Europe, Australia, NZ), but we're far from "out of control." What might come as a shock is that Sava's Law of Small Populations are More Corrupt didn't seem to be supported by the evidence. New Zealand, Canada, and Australia, all similar in culture but much less populous than the US, were decidedly less corrupt.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Again, we just pretend that the bribe is a "campaign donation" instead of what it really is... A bribe often with very specific "You will do X in exchange for this money" requirements spelled out to the politician. Sure, we pretend that's not bribery and then say "look at how low our official corruption rate is" but it's all a crock. We just wink and nod and pretend it isn't corruption when it obviously is.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Lot of gray areas in there. Nasty business.
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          Has there ever been any academic study to support this? I'm not sure what constitutes "western" in your mind. Is all of OECD western? Just the EU, Canada, US, Australia, and NZ? Do Japan and South Korea count (even though they're clearly not west of much of anything).

I looked here, and we are on the low end of our peer group (Canada, Western Europe, Australia, NZ), but we're far from "out of control." What might come as a shock is that Sava's Law of Small Populations are More Corrupt didn't seem to be supported by the evidence. New Zealand, Canada, and Australia, all similar in culture but much less populous than the US, were decidedly less corrupt.
          If you love those places so much, move there! Problem solved!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I do love how the people here who have argued that they fear the government will violate their rights and should be limited will also argue that that same government is beyond reproach when it comes to taking bribes. However, it's quite clear that they want to be reamed up the ass, they just prefer that it be done by private citizens.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              However, it's quite clear that they want to be reamed up the ass, they just prefer that it be done by private citizens.
              Uhmn, that is actually reasonable. When it's the state that fiddles with the asses, everyone get same treatment, but when it's private, you can get promotions etc. wich means that fewer people reams your ass while you can ream way more asses.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

People are willing to tolerate the abuse of themselves as long as they can hold on to the dream that they can abuse others.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I do love how the people here who have argued that they fear the government will violate their rights and should be limited will also argue that that same government is beyond reproach when it comes to taking bribes. However, it's quite clear that they want to be reamed up the ass, they just prefer that it be done by private citizens.
                  Sadly, this is standard right wing behavior. If in doubt see Felch's posts.

Comment

People are willing to tolerate the abuse of themselves as long as they can hold on to the dream that they can abuse others.
                    So true. That defines the entire right wing mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      Sadly, this is standard right wing behavior. If in doubt see Felch's posts.
                      Let me get this straight. When I say something like, "we are on the low end of our peer group" or "New Zealand, Canada, and Australia, all similar in culture but much less populous than the US, were decidedly less corrupt." you take that to mean "[America's] government is beyond reproach when it comes to taking bribes."

I've never said that America is perfect. I just don't think that things are as bad as you say, and I don't think that corruption in America is a new phenomenon. But go ahead and ignore everything I say that doesn't mesh with what you imagine I believe. I suppose it's the only way for you to cope with being wrong all the time.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Lying makes you a scumbag
                        Do you really want me to quote what you said, again? Really, Buster. It ain't a lie if it's true.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Stupid it is. Go away.
                          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                          X