Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a house, and if so how much should I spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
    Admittedly I'm basing my comment on the Australian context where investment properties get ridiculous tax concessions.
    It can be a lot of work and hassle that you really don't get compensated for. You can win or lose though.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Why does a bank robber rob banks?
      Because that's where the money is.

So why not rent, KH? Sure the financial outlay over the 15 years is in favor of ownership, but if you're not intending to keep the asset, I'm not sure I understand buying over renting. You could buy the place in Florida, and use that as an income generating asset. Buying in CT is buying very, very expensive land.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Sadly, Ben has now described the situation more accurately than anybody other than pchang.

There are a couple of reasons not to just continue renting, Ben:

The rental market is relatively thin, so my choices are limited
        If I run according to plan (stay at job in the area for 15 years) then buying is a relatively smart idea given deductibility of interest payments and property taxes
        There is a generally good case to be made for hedging your housing risk by owning some amount of real estate (though I agree that it should represent more like my likely place of residence over the rest of my lifetime e.g. 30% northeast and 70% Florida)

The downsides are a loss of mobility (if I move back to a job in the city in 3 years then this is a bad choice) and general likelihood that I will consume more housing if I buy than otherwise (dropping my overall savings rate). Plus the hassle of owning property.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The rental market is relatively thin, so my choices are limited
          That surprises me. I would have thought the rental market in CT would be fairly robust.

If I run according to plan (stay at job in the area for 15 years) then buying is a relatively smart idea given deductibility of interest payments and property taxes
          There is a generally good case to be made for hedging your housing risk by owning some amount of real estate (though I agree that it should represent more like my likely place of residence over the rest of my lifetime e.g. 30% northeast and 70% Florida)
          That would seem sensible to me. Housing is not bad in Florida right now, and you could pick up a deal and lock it into a decent rate, and never really have to worry about housing again. I expect to see interest rise, so now's a good time to buy. The other thing I'm looking at is what is the market going to be like in CT in 15 years? Are you going to have issues selling the place in CT? I have an uncle in NH and he was able to sell for a decent price, but he was very happy to be getting out of the market. If you wait, you might see prices in CT drop some.

The downsides are a loss of mobility (if I move back to a job in the city in 3 years then this is a bad choice) and general likelihood that I will consume more housing if I buy than otherwise (dropping my overall savings rate). Plus the hassle of owning property.
          It's really assessing the risk of whether or not you have to move over the next 15 years. If it's anything close to even odds, then buying in CT now isn't helping you. If it's for the mortgage deductions and making your money work for you as an asset, Florida would be a better choice. Push comes to shove, and you're living on CT income with FL prices, worst case scenario.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            Sadly, Ben has now described the situation more accurately than anybody other than pchang.
            Did he say something about a bored individual asking a question about subject matter they care/know more about than anyone likely to respond ... not to get a real answer, but rather to smugly show off their financial situation to less fortunates and look down upon people who try to offer the requested advice? Because that's the only situation I'm seeing here ...

Comment

Why can't he be showing off and genuinely asking for advice?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

You're very mean to insinuate that he could genuinely not know what's in his own best interest about this subject matter and thus need the advice of random people on the internet about how many millions he should spend on a house.

Comment

this just seems like a douchey "I'm rich" thread

I approve
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    You're very mean to insinuate that he could genuinely not know what's in his own best interest about this subject matter and thus need the advice of random people on the internet about how many millions he should spend on a house.
                    He will spend 3.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The question is not really relevant in the long run. You know what you should do KH.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                        You're very mean to insinuate that he could genuinely not know what's in his own best interest about this subject matter
                        Given that I've never had a house or a mortgage, and given that I've been thinking about this for all of 2 days, why would I think that nobody here had any useful advice?

I'm looking for two sets of things:

Practical advice on rent/own, financing, taxes
                        Humor

These both seem to be in short supply in this thread.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

As for financing... Just hire a good mortgage broker. Make sure he doesn't get commissions or kickbacks from any lenders and that he only gets paid via a fee from you. Alternatively there are some websites which allow consumers to compare mortgage offers and options but those typically push certain lenders and don't include all the options available.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I can't think of any good jokes about houses.
                            [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              I'm looking for two sets of things:

Practical advice on rent/own, financing, taxes
                              Humor

These both seem to be in short supply in this thread.
                              I'm glad you can admit that the situation is exactly as I said. You want the first to lead to the second (all while showing off your riches of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                                As for financing... Just hire a good mortgage broker. Make sure he doesn't get commissions or kickbacks from any lenders and that he only gets paid via a fee from you. Alternatively there are some websites which allow consumers to compare mortgage offers and options but those typically push certain lenders and don't include all the options available.
                                this is terrible advice

Unless I'm missing something else, the most important choice I can see making is an ARM vs a 30y fixed. And given what I've told you guys thus far, one of those two things would cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars vs the other. This is hundreds of times more important than what mortgage broker I choose.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X