Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a house, and if so how much should I spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    Serious response: Don't go for the multimillion dollar house and instead just get a 4 bedroom in a nice middle class area with good schools. Invest the rest and think real hard about buying a few rental properties with the money you save. As PChang said it isn't what you make but what you save which matters.
    Thanks

Last year, of what I earned 25% went to spending, 40% to saving and 35% to the tax man - i.e. I saved close to 60% of each paycheck.

Buying a 2MM place would take me to 35% saving
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, good for you but it still would be frivolous spending IMHO. The question you should be asking yourself is what you need not what you want or can afford. The less you spend on frivolity the more you have for wealth accumulation. I, personally, like Warren Buffet's example of owning the same middle class house for 50 years as over time those extra costs add up to real lost opportunity costs. My goal is to live well, a nice middle class lifestyle, and then when I die have people say "I had no idea he was able to save so much money". I'm a cheap ****er though and still buy my suits at discount places rather than pay for designer labels just because I can. My one austintation is my car, I am a Californian after all, but I still strictly limit that to just a luxury brand but a cheaper model of the brand. If I was as cheap as my dad I'd be driving a Camry when I could afford much better but the Scottish panache for thriftiness isn't that strong in me even if it is strong.
      Last edited by Dinner; February 19, 2014, 22:37.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Thanks

Last year, of what I earned 25% went to spending, 40% to saving and 35% to the tax man - i.e. I saved close to 60% of each paycheck.

Buying a 2MM place would take me to 35% saving
        I'm sorry do you earn more than $1 million a year? Otherwise, the math is not functional.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
          If your goal is to live a middle class lifestyle for the rest of your life then why CT?
          My goal is to retire rich (8 figures) at 50. I COULD retire in my late 30s and be middle class.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm sorry Wiggy but I've done the math. The additional outlay would be approximately the mortgage interest and property taxes less my current rent. And some or all of the former is tax deductible while the latter is not.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              Seems strange to me that you would build a statue of him in Switzerland, but he was a cool guy
              Mercury was a huge fan of Montreux (with good reason, as it is a freaking awesome place), owned a home and a recording studio there, spent his final days and died there.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Everyone knows that public corporations will better deal employees in a heartbeat if given the chance. Might as well do the same to them.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

My goal is to retire rich (8 figures) at 50. I COULD retire in my late 30s and be middle class.
                  Whoops.

But why CT as a place to set down? Have you fallen in love with the place?
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Why does a bank robber rob banks?

I'm retiring to florida/carib when the time comes
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why does a bank robber rob banks?

I'm retiring to florida/carib when the time comes
                      Because they couldnt get a job at an investment bank?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't understand US housing market so my contribution is slim to none. In here, I'd say it's not worth it. Renting is expensive but buying is also expensive and peopel are buying less (difficult to actually sell anything above 500k). We built our house. But we had 3 big advantages: 1) we got good land easy, 2) my dad is a builder so he built the house (manual labor part) for free (and got great deals from his friends to do land work, plumbing, almost free, 3) I work for a bank and my benefit is mortgage without interest.

So, we saved 100k at least in the building process and got the house we wanted, it was jstu a lot of work and with the great mortgage benefits, we saved like another 50-100k. SO we beefed it up for a value and our house is at least 200k more valuable than we paid to build it and the land value has gone up as well. Does not matter though, we jsut want ot live here. This would not be a great investment because peopel aren't buying (people are getting poorer here ATM), so the only thing that really matters for us is that we want to live here for the long term, which we do, and that we can handle our mortgage, which we hope we can do (I'm on a LONG sick leave). We can sell, but I want my kids to grow up in this neighbourhood and house. In that sense, the investment definitely is worth it. If I get back to work and stay healthy, I can pay this in full in the next 8 to 10 years.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Serious response: Don't go for the multimillion dollar house and instead just get a 4 bedroom in a nice middle class area with good schools. Invest the rest and think real hard about buying a few rental properties with the money you save. As PChang said it isn't what you make but what you save which matters.
                            This.

Comment

KH is too smart to rent out. But if he wants to retire soon idk why he would spend so much money.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Admittedly I'm basing my comment on the Australian context where investment properties get ridiculous tax concessions.

Comment

Working...
                                X