So how expensive is life in the States, really? [relocation advice thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can afford to eat on $20/week and have enough left over to pay the chef
    You're also not stateside. More of a challenge here.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Kitty gave u solid info. additive:

1. look at health care coverage. there are a (very few) programs like Yale that will cover dependents. Most not. consider obamacare or going uncovered. (in any case, you will be covered...issue is family).

2. what r u studying? chem or computers? interests? bizness?

3. consider to go into best program (if bizness or law, prestige is key; if tech...than also consider tuime to completion)

4. do reserves if u can. xtra bucks make a big difference

P.s. you can make it work...and come to usa. it is not perfect, but is special and brave.

Comment

it is not perfect, but is special and brave.
        America is a wonderful country.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Yes, you should take Oerdin's advice on thrift. Hawaii is an amazing place to be if you're trying to save money.

California is so ****ty it didn't even merit closer examination.
          Dumb ass. No one said Hawaii was cheap though I did say they have to lowest cost health care which is entirely true. Every day you draw breath makes the world a worse place.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Dumb ass. No one said Hawaii was cheap though I did say they have to lowest cost health care which is entirely true. Every day you draw breath makes the world a worse place.
            It's a good thing then as they say the good die young.

Comment

KH: I am not planning on any fancy dinners. this is good to hear. Abt rent - can I pay with commute time for a nice neighborhood that won't send me 2k back every time?

GP:
              Originally posted by TCO View Post
              Kitty gave u solid info. additive:
              1. look at health care coverage. there are a (very few) programs like Yale that will cover dependents. Most not. consider obamacare or going uncovered. (in any case, you will be covered...issue is family).
              I won't be able to go uncovered, I am interested in the possibility of *cough* expanding our family during grad school

2. what r u studying? chem or computers? interests? bizness?
              an MBA

3. consider to go into best program (if bizness or law, prestige is key; if tech...than also consider tuime to completion)
              I have applied to HBS, MIT Sloan, Booth, Wharton, Columbia, and Yale SOM. I haved also applied to LBS in the UK.

4. do reserves if u can. xtra bucks make a big difference
              Yep.

P.s. you can make it work...and come to usa. it is not perfect, but is special and brave.
              I know. I know, I am just taking on a mortgage in student loans, and am 29 and married. If I was like 25 with that student debt I wouldn't have a care in the world.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Added info:
                - We cannot go on Obamacare - not a resident of the US, interested in options for pre-schools and other ****.
                - Wife is a SW engineer with ~6 years of experience ( worked for a small company, and then for Hewlett Packard) I will probably be sponsored for a J-1/J-2 Visa so she'll be able to work. How much will she be able to bring in?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

So in principle everything is dirt cheap expect for rent in wrong places.

also on topic of expensive rent - how much would be something like 2-3 bedroom house in bay area (SF)?
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I am currently out of my house while renovating. We are staying with my sister and I am cooking to pay my way (to say thank you) so not until I move back in. I don't want to force my internet challenges on others. Should be done in two weeks.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                      So in principle everything is dirt cheap expect for rent in wrong places.

also on topic of expensive rent - how much would be something like 2-3 bedroom house in bay area (SF)?
                      Depending on neighborhood, $2500 - $3750 per month. Assumes you don't want to live in a crime infested crack hole.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

You're going down, Patroklos!

Comment

A lot of it has been answered, but I haven't seen this answered yet: pregnancy is NOT a pre-existing condition exclusion.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran: Something that I never really got, to be honest. I get a lot of the arguments for the American healthcare system, but this is harsh. So me and the Mrs. cannot have a kid until we are actually in the states, ensured... hmmm.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Harsh? Maybe you misunderstood - Pregnancy is NOT a pre-existing exclusion. It means that health providers CAN NOT treat the pregnancy as a pre-existing condition.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The nice lady over here seems to think otherwise:
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X