So how expensive is life in the States, really? [relocation advice thread]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a thread in 2008 .

The ACA ("Obamacare") has happened since then. Pre-existing condition exclusions are not allowed anymore by insurance companies, as of January 1, 2014.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I strongly suggest you consider other locations if you are looking to save money. Depending on the program you are going into, you can get just as good an education in various and sundry other schools, with a much better cost of living, especially in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Though I can see why he may want an MBA from some of the schools he's applying to - in Israel they'd be more known than other schools.

Also in all of the schools, New Haven (Yale) may be the cheapest, because the town is basically a ****hole.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
          Added info:
          - We cannot go on Obamacare - not a resident of the US, interested in options for pre-schools and other ****.
          - Wife is a SW engineer with ~6 years of experience ( worked for a small company, and then for Hewlett Packard) I will probably be sponsored for a J-1/J-2 Visa so she'll be able to work. How much will she be able to bring in?
          If you have a student visa or are married to a person with a student visa then you are a legal US resident. Non-citizen legal residents are eligible to be covered by the ACA and medicaid so if you're income is low, as it probably will be while attending grad school, then you two would probably qualify for medicaid which is no cost, no copay health care. Things like child birth and pregnancy care would be completely covered assuming you are in a state which expanded medicaid and not a craphole red state which is trying to screw over its own people for political reasons.
          Last edited by Dinner; January 27, 2014, 18:41.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The nice lady over here seems to think otherwise:
            http://www.insubuy.com/forum/showthr...ancy-1st-month
            2008. That's pre-ACA.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I won't be able to go uncovered, I am interested in the possibility of *cough* expanding our family during grad school
              I'm surprised this isn't giving you visa trouble. INS usually frowns upon pregnant women entering the country.

I have applied to HBS, MIT Sloan, Booth, Wharton, Columbia, and Yale SOM. I haved also applied to LBS in the UK.
              Harvard and Yale have decent schools. But Columbia sucks and isn't worth the expense of living in NYC, unless you're willing to live in a very small studio.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                I strongly suggest you consider other locations if you are looking to save money. Depending on the program you are going into, you can get just as good an education in various and sundry other schools, with a much better cost of living, especially in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions.
                The problem is MBAs are a dime a dozen. He's paying for a brand that will open doors and make connections, not really an education.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

U. of Michigan Business School is the equal of all of those, and Ann Arbor has a much lower cost of living than any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Though I can see why he may want an MBA from some of the schools he's applying to - in Israel they'd be more known than other schools.

Also in all of the schools, New Haven (Yale) may be the cheapest, because the town is basically a ****hole.
                    This. Plus, as GP stated, they have one of the most generous health care plans available in the US.

For Harvard, East Cambridge is affordable, but will be significantly higher than New Haven.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      U. of Michigan Business School is the equal of all of those, and Ann Arbor has a much lower cost of living than any of them.
                      Never heard of them.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        Depending on neighborhood, $2500 - $3750 per month. Assumes you don't want to live in a crime infested crack hole.
                        Tx
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Apply to Stanford, Kellogg, GSB, and Wharton also. (perhaps INSEAD)

If you get into HBS, go there above the others. I would not bother with UMich, Darden, etc. Go to a prestigious place.

If it is a couple places that you feel are basically equivalent (basically I think all on the list are), then would factor wife's job into the equation. I think cost of living of all will be similar, except perhaps Columbia. I would really prioritize what you enjoy as well (like what town, climate, etc. will be fun).

Good luck with family and school. Both sound exciting and you can make it work.
                          Last edited by TCO; January 27, 2014, 21:52.

Comment

Dinner: these are great news! Are you certain, about this, can anyone confirm?

Guy: UMich Ross IS an up and coming B-School. I have actually decided against it at the last moment. I am not sure I like my wife's career opprotunities in Ann Arbor, though, as a software engineer.

GP:I have applied Stanford and Wharton. I have decided for LBS as my euro school option, because frankly I have to consider my wife's options as well. I just cannot see her making it as a Software Engineer in Ile-de-France when she knows no French, plus with the French job market the way it is. INSEAD is HUGE in Israel, much better network than LBS, but you work with what you have.

I like the ocean, and I like a warm climate. My childhood city is a harbor city, built on a hill near a bay. San Francisco and Silicon Valley should be great for me.

I am however realistic about my chances to apply to Stanford - with a 720 GMAT and a ~3.1 GPA, and no prior history of saving underpriviledged children behind enemy lines... meh.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

they just called me from Hult lol
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Guy: UMich Ross IS an up and coming B-School. I have actually decided against it at the last moment. I am not sure I like my wife's career opprotunities in Ann Arbor, though, as a software engineer.
                                Google has offices in Ann Arbor, FWIW.

Best of luck to you, good sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X