America Losing Its Global Dominance In Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    And thats the real problem with decision based moralizing. My wants and actions havent really changed - in a loud mouth chatty hedonist with a chip on his shoulder. My wife is like 80% responsible for my life being awesome and 20% is me not doing enough to **** it up
    You're a loser.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• The EU is the largest economy in the world.

(and it's all thanks to cucumbers)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
        The EU is the largest economy in the world.

(and it's all thanks to cucumbers)
        And it's growing at a rate of 0.35% since 1995. Wow!

Comment

• it's a blue chip

Comment

• Japan also not growing. What will happen to the US then China when demographics catch up?

Comment

• A bridge to cross when one gets there. for the time being I have to muster all my remaining courage and go iron some shirts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                But GDP in this case is an illusion; it reflects money being shifted around, nothing more. Local bosses get promoted by using big projects to artificially inflate GDP figures.
                That's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard about GDP.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Hmm, the blog where I read about it appears to have been taken over by some other group (CCP? Dunno), but since GDP makes the country look good, the small fry get big bonuses if they can make their local stats rise. Which is why a large part of China's GDP growth is giant projects like bridges, dams and rail lines. Even if the money is being wasted--there's not enough power or transport demand to make the project worthwhile--it's a chance for graft, and as long as a crapton of money is changing hands it contributes significantly to GDP.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Elok, by that argument, all GDP is an illusion. What you described is essentially the same as all economic activity.

I think what you really meant was that the value of these projects is overstated since value isn't determined on a market, and thus the gdp figures are larger than they ought to be. Nevertheless China's gdp is clearly growing.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      They've apparently already overtaken you on GDP (PPP).
                      Yeah, uh, no.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        Hmm, the blog where I read about it appears to have been taken over by some other group (CCP? Dunno), but since GDP makes the country look good, the small fry get big bonuses if they can make their local stats rise. Which is why a large part of China's GDP growth is giant projects like bridges, dams and rail lines. Even if the money is being wasted--there's not enough power or transport demand to make the project worthwhile--it's a chance for graft, and as long as a crapton of money is changing hands it contributes significantly to GDP.
                        They do so many public works to keep people working. These projects aren't really worth what they cost (in some sense). So what you are saying is true. This is by central design though.

Comment

• I'll allow that economics is my biggest weakness. I got that off a blog called Seeing Red in China, run by an American living there, and he spoke of it like it was common knowledge over there. Possibly I misremembered it, and at any rate the blog's down now so n/m.
                          1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Yeah, uh, no.
                            You're right, apparently later this year.

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2014/10/0...ggest-economy/

Comment

• British Science:
                              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

• At any rate, I don't think I envy China very much, whatever their GDP is.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X