Durable shoe brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    I love how you (wrongly) assume that I am not going to use them for anything athletic. But whatever.
    If you're going to run or cross-train, get specialized shoes. I wear New Balance Minimus because I'm a fan of minimalist shoes which are more natural. It's better to have dedicated PT shoes so that they wear out based on your activity. Your running and walking gaits are different so wearing running shoes day to day to walk around in will be detrimental to the shoe and your feet when you run. Likewise, running in your walk around sneakers will cause them to wear in different ways than they do when you're walking.

At the simplest, the differences include that when you walk, you wear the heel of your shoe due to the heel to toe walking gait whereas when you run, you wear out the ball of the shoe due to the typical running gait.

Obviously, that's not to say you can't walk in your running shoes at all but you shouldn't have a pair of shoes with 100 running miles on it and 100 walking miles.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

well thx Al B, I learned something today

and I have running shoes with 100 miles of walking and virtually no running

well, more than a 100 since I use them for golf too

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
        well thx Al B, I learned something today

and I have running shoes with 100 miles of walking and virtually no running

well, more than a 100 since I use them for golf too
        You can walk exclusively in running shoes. Like I said earlier, it's kind of a waste because running shoes cost more than run of the mill sneakers because they're specialized. But there's nothing intrinsically wrong with walking in running shoes.

The issue is when you combine activities in the same pair of shoes. Like I said, you don't want to be running in your well-worn walking shoes (whether designed for running or not) because the wear and tear on those shoes will be based on your walking gait, which could be detrimental to your performance and health when you run.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think I'm gonna go with the asics. I need running shoes when I push buggies, but I don't push buggies more than once or twice a week in spring and fall, and otherwise I just want comfortable tennis shoes.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

FYI, though, you definitely don't want to run in run of the mill sneakers.

In terms of better to worse, ideally you want separate running and walking shoes and you walk sparingly in your running shoes (like to go to a gym, for some cross-training, walking after running, etc.) and walking shoes you absolutely never run in. Next is to have running shoes that you mix run and walk in (ie- only own a pair of running shoes). See the problem I said before about different gaits wearing the shoe differently. Then the worst thing you can do is having walking shoes that you run in. I can virtually guarantee you'll have some foot or leg issue from running in walking shoes.

Comment

What a bunch of BS.

Get something cheap that looks all right. If you spend more than $30, you fail as a person.

Alby's shoe nerd thoughts are hilarious.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                What a bunch of BS.

Get something cheap that looks all right. If you spend more than $30, you fail as a person.

Alby's shoe nerd thoughts are hilarious.
                Oh I'm sorry. I'll defer to Dr. Sava, the podiatrist and athletic trainer

Comment

yeah shitbird
                  when did you get your foot degree? in between shower suckfests at the barracks?
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't have one but it is evident that I've researched this topic whereas you...

It's evident that your walking and running gaits are different. It's evident that shoes are designed differently based on these different gaits and it's also evident that the wear patterns on shoes will be different based on the activity you use them for.

Comment

Alby, you have bought into a mythology designed to separate workout warriors from their money. Different shoes might be nice to have for sufficiently diverse (and intense) activities -- straight-line movement vs sudden lateral moves, etc. But walking? Seriously?

It seems to me that running and walking are similar enough activities that a decent design engineer should be able to come up with a shoe that accommodates both. So maybe you have wear points on two spots. BFD.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Get some patent leathers and walk in style. You won't need running, although my Tony Lama's are durable.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Briefly. Tennis shoes are definitely what I want. Within the scope of tennis shoes, do you have recommendations?
                          Unless you're actually going to play tennis with them, go for walking shoes.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            Alby, you have bought into a mythology designed to separate workout warriors from their money. Different shoes might be nice to have for sufficiently diverse (and intense) activities -- straight-line movement vs sudden lateral moves, etc. But walking? Seriously?

It seems to me that running and walking are similar enough activities that a decent design engineer should be able to come up with a shoe that accommodates both. So maybe you have wear points on two spots. BFD.
                            Actually, Consumer Reports agrees with Alby.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I recommend you stop whining like a little girl who needs his mums help to get dressed, go buy some Converse like an actual man, and never, ever listen to Albies opinions on clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                ... and walking shoes you absolutely never run in.
                                What if I'm about to miss the bus?
                                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                                X