Pope sends direct message to Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    I'm arguing that there's a big difference between something that happens just once and something that happens 4 or 5 times.
    Ignoring for a second the point that no there is absolutely no difference, you didn't seem to care about it being '4 or 5 times' in this later quote from that thread..

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    What backpeddling? I also didn't say that was my reaction either. I stated that the natural response to, say, getting mugged by a black person you don't know is to be wary of other black people in the future. That's not prejudice, that's common sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
      Of course he does, his question goes to the heart of their "right" - which one of you is without sin? Let him carry out the punishment. Nobody was without sin, they dropped their stones and walked away. How can you read that as an endorsement of casting the first stone?

No, I'm saying its hypocritical for a bachelor who abstains from sex to tell everyone else to get married and have kids. Do as I say, not as I do. You are attributing to Jesus an obsession with marriage and children he didn't have to the point of making him out to be a hypocrite.

Jesus told the woman "sin no more", that confirms adultery was a sin to Jesus. He never said that about homosexuality and for good reason, adultery violates a promise or oath or commitment. Homosexuality does not.

Jesus didn't leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife and have children... According to your logic Jesus was accusing himself of sin - along with your Catholic Church.
      It's hard to be an ambassador for Christ (do his work), when you are engaging in homosexuality. Now if you have a testimony of repenting from that behavior, that's certainly being an ambassador for Christ. That's what makes homosexuality a sin. It's not hard to sin. Being a Christian is the hardest thing to do.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        Which is why many of us don't construe things like that, but instead see his call for you to love your neighbour as yourself and judge yourself before you judge others as a pretty clear sign that the whole 'ostrasize the gays' thing probably wasn't something he would have been a huge fan of.
        Ostracism? No, and I've said already that I don't approve of our use of the Queer Menace as a whipping boy. But there is a rather large amount of room between ostracism and endorsement. Take straight fornicators, for example; we don't endlessly hassle them, and yet I don't think anybody believes traditional Christianity endorses one-night stands or concupiscence.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Finally, an answer. If conscience is all you need, why would you have any need to consult with the bible?
          I don't.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          I'm not even saying that. I'm saying you're making a case for Atheism in general, not Christianity. It's consistent with your convictions.
          Your brand of Christianity. I didn't say I don't believe in God, I just don't believe all the mumbo-jumbo in the Bible, like Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead yada yada yada. But I'm sure there are many who do adhere to the words of Christ who don't necessarily believe everything in the Bible.

I don't care if the Bible is textually consistent with the Dead Sea Scrolls. They were written by people. Crazy, gullible people with their own agendas, like the rest of us. Does that answer your question as to which parts of the Bible ought to be retained?

Comment

• From one point of view, christianity is the absolut control tool for the elite.
            A bunch of guilt - ridden people running around asking for forgiveness with all the introvert guillible, retractory, defitism mentality that that entails.

And on the other hand it's the greatest thing on earth:
            love your neighboor, everyone can be saved, be kind, humble, have someone on your side when life gets difficult, believe in something greater

it's in the way that you use it

Comment

• It comes and it goes.

via Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                From one point of view, christianity is the absolut control tool for the elite.
                A bunch of guilt - ridden people running around asking for forgiveness with all the introvert guillible, retractory, defitism mentality that that entails.

And on the other hand it's the greatest thing on earth:
                love your neighboor, everyone can be saved, be kind, humble, have someone on your side when life gets difficult, believe in something greater

it's in the way that you use it
                If you are guilty you should repent. Guilt, anxiety etc.. are good thing. Love your neighbor confirms that you have repented for your sin.

Comment

• you can't unconditionally love your neighboor because he may be an assh@t.
                  else you'll end up like those polynesian tribes that got completely extinct because they have a non violence culture and didn't fight back at the corporations.

in all things moderation

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                      you can't unconditionally love your neighboor because he may be an assh@t.
                      else you'll end up like those polynesian tribes that got completely extinct because they have a non violence culture and didn't fight back at the corporations.

in all things moderation
                      Yes, you can unconditionally love everyone. You have your priorities messed up. Number one should be righteousness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                        Yes, you can unconditionally love everyone. You have your priorities messed up. Number one should be righteousness.
                        No way! Even WOMEN?

Comment

• Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          No way! Even WOMEN?
                          It's a trick. Women aren't people.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            Yes, you can unconditionally love everyone.
                            No way! Even WOMEN?

Comment

• Even men.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                                You know the Presbyterian Church in the US recently voted to sanction gay marriage right?

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America voted back in 2009 to allow for gay Pastors in committed relationships (prior to that gay pastors were allowed, but had to be celibate). More than a few gay folks have been married in the ELCA (including my former pastor, who moved to an ECLA church in Minnesota; ie, American Lutheran Holy Land ).

It's only a matter of time, but all Christian traditions will come around to this point. The anti-homosexual Christian rhetoric will be seen as the pro-slavery Christian rhetoric is today. His truth is marching on.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X