Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michelle Obama talks about how drinking water is healthy for you. Conservatives explode in outrage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Ask the author of the OP article.
    Uhm. The author is asking the same question.

Goldfarb isn't anti-water either. In one of his own studies (Google is your friend) he states that there is an absence of data on either side of the subject, regarding the health benefits of water.

This is really a question of water versus other beverages. But those beverages, as far as hydration is concerned, are mostly water. It boils down to the notion that drinking lots of empty calories is somehow good for you. Drinks that contain HFCS have a drastic effect on blood sugar levels. There's enough data out there regarding that subject. Again, Google is your friend.

I'm just trying to understand how the suggestion that children drink water is somehow "anti-science".

Please. Explain.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ask the author of the OP article.
      I am asking OTHERS why this should be a controversial or a political issue.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
        Uhm. The author is asking the same question.

Goldfarb isn't anti-water either. In one of his own studies (Google is your friend) he states that there is an absence of data on either side of the subject, regarding the health benefits of water.

This is really a question of water versus other beverages. But those beverages, as far as hydration is concerned, are mostly water. It boils down to the notion that drinking lots of empty calories is somehow good for you. Drinks that contain HFCS have a drastic effect on blood sugar levels. There's enough data out there regarding that subject. Again, Google is your friend.

I'm just trying to understand how the suggestion that children drink water is somehow "anti-science".

Please. Explain.
        Are we reading the same OP article?

POLITICO contacted Dr. Stanley Goldfarb of the University of Pennsylvania, who told them, “There really isn’t data to support this. I think, unfortunately, frankly, they’re not basing this on really hard science. It’s not a very scientific approach they’ve taken… To make it a major public health effort, I think I would say it’s bizarre.”
        No, Dr. Goldfarb, the only thing I find “bizarre” is your apparent urge to find something horribly wrong with Mrs. Obama telling Americans that water is good for them. Oh my God, recommending that people drink water? Oh my, how bizarre and unseemly! What was she thinking?!
        It is anti-science to respond to a scientific answer (that there isn't data to support it) by flipping out and saying how he's trying to find something 'horribly wrong' with Michelle Obama's comments.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Are we reading the same OP article?
          Apparently not.
          It is anti-science to respond to a scientific answer (that there isn't data to support it) by flipping out and saying how he's trying to find something 'horribly wrong' with Michelle Obama's comments.
          She didn't write an academic paper. It's some random first-lady speech.

If you don't drink water, you die. Drinking water is good for you.

I have a scientific experiment for you if you disagree. Don't drink any water (including ingesting the water in other mixtures). See what happens to you.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Nice strawman.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              Nice strawman.
              You use that word. But I don't think you know what it means.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                I am asking OTHERS why this should be a controversial or a political issue.
                Because some moron wrote an article about it to make a hack piece, and then some other hack decided to repost it?
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Nice strawman.
                  See thats funny cause you can use a straw to drink water with Har HAR.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You use that word. But I don't think you know what it means.
                    So your remarks about how people need water to live were a non sequitur?

Comment

Nice strawman.
                      Seriously.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

You are the ones pushing this whole "anti-science" narrative and failing to offer any sort of support to this argument.

Michelle Obama repeated a claim from a study... Americans aren't drinking enough water. She said, drink more water.

OMFG SHE"S ANTI SCIENCE

What?
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You are demonstrated Ben like reading comprehension here, Sava.

Comment

You are demonstrated Ben like reading comprehension here, Sava.
                            I'm just asking you to offer some support to your argument.

The "anti-water" side of this debate has one bit of support... from this Goldfarb guy... who himself, isn't against water. His strong remarks on the subject say there is not enough data to make any conclusions either way.

So please. Support your claim.

Telling us to drink water is "anti-science" in your words. Prove it.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You are the ones pushing this whole "anti-science" narrative and failing to offer any sort of support to this argument.

Michelle Obama repeated a claim from a study... Americans aren't drinking enough water. She said, drink more water.

OMFG SHE"S ANTI SCIENCE

What?
                              She's not anti-science, the ****** whose article MrFun found on a ****ty website for partisan hacks and posted is.

Comment

the ****** whose article MrFun found on a ****ty website for partisan hacks
                                I would agree with this.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X