Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michelle Obama talks about how drinking water is healthy for you. Conservatives explode in outrage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle Obama talks about how drinking water is healthy for you. Conservatives explode in outrage.

Michelle Obama Says Drinking Water is a Good Thing — Americans Get Outraged
    September 13, 2013 By Thomas Barr 114 Comments

Some things in life are understandably controversial and evoke a wide range of emotions. Religion, taxes, even sports can bring about passionate arguments among average Americans.
    Drinking water should not be one of these “controversial” topics.
    But apparently if Michelle Obama endorses it, that immediately makes it controversial.
    The first lady launched a new campaign to get Americans to “Drink Up” yesterday, as part of her ongoing Let’s Move initiative. Speaking at a high school in Wisconsin, Obama said:
    “I’ve come to realize that if we were going to take just one step to make ourselves and our families healthier, probably the single best thing we could do is to simply drink more water. It’s as simple as that. Drink just one more glass of water a day and you can make a real difference for your health, for your energy and the way that you feel.”
    This seems like common sense, but study after study has shown that millions of Americans simply aren’t drinking enough water. We get inundated nonstop with advertising and weekly sales on caffeinated beverages, which fuel the urge to boost our overworked and under-rested bodies with any sort of “energy” drink other than water.

So what’s so controversial about the first lady choosing to recommend drinking more water? Apparently, everything.
    POLITICO contacted Dr. Stanley Goldfarb of the University of Pennsylvania, who told them, “There really isn’t data to support this. I think, unfortunately, frankly, they’re not basing this on really hard science. It’s not a very scientific approach they’ve taken… To make it a major public health effort, I think I would say it’s bizarre.”
    No, Dr. Goldfarb, the only thing I find “bizarre” is your apparent urge to find something horribly wrong with Mrs. Obama telling Americans that water is good for them. Oh my God, recommending that people drink water? Oh my, how bizarre and unseemly! What was she thinking?!
    Apparently some people would rather have millions of Honey Boo Boos running around hopped up on “Go Go Juice” all day.
    I’m sorry, but I fail to see what’s so controversial about recommending that people drink water. I know from personal experience that dehydration can cause loss of energy and headaches — I pretty much drank nothing but Diet Mountain Dew and other sodas for several years, with only an occasional water mixed in. And I felt like garbage. Now I will admit that I do still drink soda, but ever since I’ve incorporated much more water into my daily routine, I’ve had more energy and far fewer headaches.
    Everybody’s needs are different, but if there’s one thing we’ve pretty much established throughout humanity’s history, it’s that water is good for you. Seriously, have we not at least come to a general consensus on that?
    This should not be controversial, folks.
    Then we have the “top comments” in response to The Daily Caller’s report of the story, which showcase the fact that many Americans will hate anything that anybody with the last name “Obama” promotes — even something as non-controversial as water — simply because it’s an Obama promoting it. Have a look for yourself:
    dailycaller-comments

Of course, comment sections on political websites are a hotbed for trolls from all realms of the political spectrum, but sadly I think this is the type of nonsense many far right individuals truly believe. Their hatred for the Obamas is so deep-seated that there isn’t a single thing they could do or say to bring about any type of positive response from these people.
    As somebody once said, “If Barack Obama came out in favor of oxygen, Republicans would suffocate themselves.” Apparently if Michelle comes out in favor of water, Republicans will go so far as to publicly state that they’re no longer going to drink it. It’s tainted with Obama praise!

However, the response from readers of The Daily Caller is nothing compared to the response from the faithful readers on teaparty.org. First of all, we have the headline expressing faux outrage that she would dare mention anything about water “on September 11th!” And then we have the disgusting comments from readers which resemble something out of an “Alex Jones meets the KKK” fantasy land of bigotry wrapped inside tinfoil hats. The water must be poisoned if she’s telling us to drink it!
    All over a recommendation to drink more water.
    Seriously.
    Sadly, it’s hard not to come to the conclusion that there’s simply no hope for some of these people. But I stand by my assertion that drinking water should not be controversial. It’s simply common sense, and more Americans should be encouraged to do it. Kudos to the first lady for choosing to put a spotlight on it, and shame on anybody who tries to paint it in a negative light. Of all the things to disagree on or argue over, keeping yourself hydrated and drinking water truly should not be one of them. Grow up.
    Seriously. What's wrong with these people who are angry about this? What is controversial about drinking water?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

POLITICO contacted Dr. Stanley Goldfarb of the University of Pennsylvania, who told them, “There really isn’t data to support this. I think, unfortunately, frankly, they’re not basing this on really hard science. It’s not a very scientific approach they’ve taken… To make it a major public health effort, I think I would say it’s bizarre.”
    No, Dr. Goldfarb, the only thing I find “bizarre” is your apparent urge to find something horribly wrong with Mrs. Obama telling Americans that water is good for them. Oh my God, recommending that people drink water? Oh my, how bizarre and unseemly! What was she thinking?!
    Whoever wrote this article is a moron.

Comment

forwardprogressive.com
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        The article's writer is a moron because he thinks drinking water is good for us?

Comment

It has been talked about in the Paleo/Primal community that the proscription of eight 8oz cups of water a day is silly. Not only is there no scientific evidence supporting it, the 8 by 8 rule came from a 1945 recommendation; it is ridiculous on its face as it assigns the same amount of water for a 110lb woman as a 200lb man. Realistically, our hunter-gatherer ancestors did not hang around the watering hole all day getting their 64 ounces of water.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            It has been talked about in the Paleo/Primal community that the proscription of eight 8oz cups of water a day is silly. Not only is there no scientific evidence supporting it, the 8 by 8 rule came from a 1945 recommendation; it is ridiculous on its face as it assigns the same amount of water for a 110lb woman as a 200lb man. Realistically, our hunter-gatherer ancestors did not hang around the watering hole all day getting their 64 ounces of water.
            Where did the First Lady specifically say to drink as much as eight glasses a day?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              Indeed. Americans have pretty ****ty diets, but there's not really a lot of evidence to suggest we're dehydrated. Drinking water instead of what we currently drink would be a good idea, but just drinking more water isn't a terribly useful suggestion.

That said, the outrage at the suggestion we should drink water is ridiculous.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I drank a glass of water and now I have to pee.

THANKS OBAMA
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  I drank a glass of water and now I have to pee.

THANKS OBAMA

Comment

I love how the article goes after Dr. Stanley Goldfarb as he's some conservative plant.

I would think the UPenn (not really a conservative school) Professor of Medicine whose research interests involve "management of fluid and electrolyte, metabolism and diabetic nephropathy." would have some interesting things to say on the matter. But anti-science just isn't for the right-wing alone, I guess.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      The article's writer is a moron because he thinks drinking water is good for us?
                      He's a moron for insisting it shouldn't be controversial right after someone points out that there isn't really any hard science to back it up. And then transitioning into an anecdote about how crappy he felt when he drank Mountain Dew constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        Where did the First Lady specifically say to drink as much as eight glasses a day?
                        The correct response to Speer is: Who gives a **** what the paleo/primal community thinks?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This guy doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            But anti-science just isn't for the right-wing alone, I guess.
                            Uhm. How is drinking water a political issue?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              Uhm. How is drinking water a political issue?
                              Ask the author of the OP article.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X