Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    pointless thread

this is already known

religionistas don't care

studies are dismissed just like science
    And that is the sad truth.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Leave it to Ben to point out an exception as proof that the survey has no value. Not very scientific.
      If the scientific method was designed by a Catholic priest then I don't see how you can cite it as evidence in favor of atheists. Surely if they were so smart, wouldn't they have developed it first?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Being a Catholic priest in those times doesn't prove he believed in God, only that he pretended to.

Many priests have lost their faith but continue to preach.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I would pretend to believe in God in those days... and would probably have been indoctrinated to anyway.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            If the scientific method was designed by a Catholic priest then I don't see how you can cite it as evidence in favor of atheists. Surely if they were so smart, wouldn't they have developed it first?
            That's some stupid ****, right there.

Comment

STOP ....

QUOTING ....

BEN !!!!

Please
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

It's always entertaining to see Ben bring down the average.

And yes there probably was a lot of truth in Mike's comment. And that's probably still somewhat true today. I'm sure there were quite a few pedophiles that didn't truly believe in god. They just joined the priesthood for the opportunities.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There's a far less sinister truth to what MikeH is saying. It's that joining the priesthood was just something you did way back when. It was a path to literacy and education and also had some religious trappings to it if you were into that kind of thing.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I didn't see anything sinister in Mike's comments. Yes it was the path to education for those third sons that weren't in line to inherit.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      There's a far less sinister truth to what MikeH is saying. It's that joining the priesthood was just something you did way back when. It was a path to literacy and education and also had some religious trappings to it if you were into that kind of thing.
                      That's what I meant.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Being a Catholic priest in those times doesn't prove he believed in God, only that he pretended to.
                        That's actually a scotsman! well done, Mike.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          I didn't see anything sinister in Mike's comments. Yes it was the path to education for those third sons that weren't in line to inherit.
                          No, there's something sinister in what you were saying. I'm sure some priests hide their unbelief and use the priesthood as a cover for their extracurricular activities, but I doubt that happens very often. Just the same, I'm willing to bet that priests who produced scientific work in medieval times were usually not hiding their lack of belief. Rather, they took their belief for granted, or it wasn't terribly important to them, or it was just a tradition. And of course, there were some priests who believed their scientific work was done in god's name and were apparently quite religious. Whether they truly believed or simply presented themselves as believers because it was politically expedient to do so is hard to say. But humans are quite capable of believing seemingly contradictory things, so I have no trouble believing many priests were both religious and scientific and saw no contradiction.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post

Many priests have lost their faith but continue to preach.
                            That's as reaching a comment as Ben makes... or at least as much of a BAM .

There is no requirement that one join the Franciscan Order in "those times".
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              I have no trouble believing many priests were both religious and scientific and saw no contradiction.
                              There is no contradiction between being religious and scientific.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                The "scientific method" isn't really a thing you can credit to a single person so I don't see how your hypothetical about a Catholic priest coming up with it is relevant.

Comment

Working...
                                X