Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As always, the word “correlation” is important. It hasn’t been shown that higher intelligence causes someone to be less religious. So, it wouldn’t be right to call someone a dimwit just because of their religious beliefs. Unless, of course, you are an ancient playwright looking to provoke your audience.
    Kentonio is Euripides? mind. blown.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You're lucky I don't throw you in jail for disagreeing with me. Catholics like to do that.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If you're so bloody clever, why do you still spend time arguing with Ben?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

You're lucky I don't throw you in jail for disagreeing with me. Catholics like to do that.
          Bondage?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            If you're so bloody clever, why do you still spend time arguing with Ben?
            I was kind of assuming that this was a living hell where I and others were paying for their previous sins by endlessly being drawn into conversations with Ben against our will.

A bit like Lost but with less polar bears.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
              Someone from Ars Technica read it.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Hard to take water from an empty barrel..
                Good thing it's not empty then

Comment

One of Ben's wild claims turns out to be conveniently unverifiable?! I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!
                  What, you don't believe that he had an employer who wanted him to conduct super secret research on a correlation between education and certain beliefs...?

Comment

What, you don't believe that he had an employer who wanted him to conduct super secret research on a correlation between education and certain beliefs...?
                    I did 'super secret research' for the BBC too! Wish I'd framed the check.

Comment

I was kind of assuming that this was a living hell where I and others were paying for their previous sins by endlessly being drawn into conversations with Ben against our will.
                      It's sad but true. You have no willpower or common sense. If you don't like talking to someone, don't. Simple. It's not like Ben can reach through your computer screen and make you open up a thread and start posting drivel ...

Comment

It's not like Ben can reach through your computer screen and make you open up a thread and start posting drivel ...
                        I think it's listed under 'force choke'. It's a dark side power though.

Comment

1928 eh? Caliper measurements FTW.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            The scientific method was originally developed by a Catholic priest. It was expanded upon by another Catholic priest, and then developed further by a Catholic layperson who was one of the most famous scientists of his age.

To be fair, in my discipline, it's chief proponent was a Protestant who became famous by writing about the Pope. He was invited to the Vatican and widely praised for his research.

So yeah, religion bad atheism good. Asher smash puny Jesus.
                            Leave it to Ben to point out an exception as proof that the survey has no value. Not very scientific.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                              1928 eh? Caliper measurements FTW.
                              I think phrenology might have been dead by then. Eugenics, however, was still all the rage, so your broader point stands.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                                So the takeaway is is that college creates atheists.
                                Education, period, makes people less superstitious.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X