Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catholic institution sets to live by example in showing compassion and support to LGBT youth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Except the author himself admits that it wasn't.
    Cite please.

Comment

poor Ben ....
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"Early gay marriage" claims are always dubious, for any number of reasons:

1. The actual position of official sources from all eras are unambiguously anti-gay. Going back to the first century.
        2. The early church had minimal control over individual parishes, so that what happened at one location doesn't necessarily reflect any condoned policy. For centuries tons of "Christians" were syncretists of one shape or another; nobody claims this as a license for Christians to worship Osiris or Sol Invictus.
        3. Even when nominal control was attained, lots of shady business still went on. I don't know a lot about the Western church, but in the East at least one emperor and one empress had utterly non-canonical fourth marriages for reasons of state, while a third (Heraclius) actually married his niece. And lots of others kept mistresses openly, without being excommunicated. And that's just the violations of the rules for sexual decency...plenty of emperors were blessed for murdering their own family members.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Even when nominal control was attained, lots of shady business still went on. I don't know a lot about the Western church, but in the East at least one emperor and one empress had utterly non-canonical fourth marriages for reasons of state, while a third (Heraclius) actually married his niece
          The west had Emperor Julian too. Again, prior to Theodosius it doesn't make much sense to treat the Church in the sense that we do today. We don't have very many primary sources whatsoever of the time before due to simple attrition. Do any Christian marriage charters exist prior to the 4th century? It was kind of illegal...
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            "Positive" meaning "they don't tell MrFun that their religion prohibits something he likes to do"? I guess "positive" Muslims don't take issue with consuming alcohol...?
            Well as long as they arent proscribing laws that interfere with non muslims, yeah, I guess that is positive.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
            X