No announcement yet.

An explanation for Oerdin's magical Obamacare premium drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a huge amount of cost savings to be made in US hospitals without sacrificing care one tiny bit. In the UK the average child birth runs just ~$15k where as in the US they run from $35k-$50k just for a vaginal birth before you even get into C-sections which up the costs dramatically. We just have an extremely inefficient medical sector full of waste and middlemen who drive up costs without improving care for patients. You'll notice Princess Kate got the exact same treatment as every other new mom in the UK and she declared the care to be first rate. This is despite it costing less than half what it would in the US and nothing out of pocket for the people receiving care.

In the long run NHS style universal care delivers top quality care at a fraction of the price.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

...wait, you guys don't even have community nurses, who visit people in their home to treat people?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I have a friend whose mother does that.

Comment

She's a qualified nurse (or equivalent or better?)
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
            ...wait, you guys don't even have community nurses, who visit people in their home to treat people?
            Nope, such individual treatment in the home is restricted to the extremely wealthy as it is prohibitively expensive. Remember that next time HC claims US health care is so much better.

When my mother had a stroke she did get a limited number of at home out patient visits but they were all 15-25 minutes long and were only with the physical therapist and only because my father ranted, raved, and threatened to sue the insurance company if they didn't.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You are paying for nothing. Even if you are paying more for a good, at least you are receiving a service in return - so it doesn't subjectively feel as a loss. I think it'll be enough to push a lot of folks over, esp as the loss for nothing increases.
              Again, whether someone chooses to purchase a service will depend on the value of that service to them. Charging more for a service than the client believes the service to be worth won't motivate them to pay more for it.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

She's a qualified nurse (or equivalent or better?)
                Yes, an RN

Comment

For wealthy Americans, yes they can obtain such services.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Craigslist
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      Yes, an RN
                      Cool. That's the way most services are moving the UK: it's cheaper to pay 1 nurse to visit people in their own home (where they eat their own food and with the comfort of family) than to keep them in a building attended by medical professionals.

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      For wealthy Americans, yes they can obtain such services.
                      STFU Commie.

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                      Craigslist
                      I wonder, would it be cheaper to pay for a hooker or a nurse?

Comment

• Or a combo for the premium service.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post

STFU Commie.
                          I gave you a no-bullshit, matter-of-fact answer to your post, and this is the thanks I get.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Unlike HC you may actually have a set of ethics that wouldn't be described as deviant by most of humanity, but also unlike HC you are retarded.

Comment

Working...
                            X