No announcement yet.

Why raising taxes is nessecary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhmn, no. Their main purpose is to control the lowbrow part of society so they doesn't revolt - not making money.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• It's competition. Cities compete with each other to attract tourism, businesses, jobs and people.

Cities like London, New York and LA set the benchmarks. Then cities like Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, San Fransisco, etc have to match. Then cities like Boulder, Cleveland, Buffalo follow. Then so on and so on.

Developments in the largest centres will not need or desire much public involvement. Cities in the next tier may strain a bit, but not a lot of public money is going to be needed. The further down you go, there comes a time when a totally private facility is not feasable economically, but if you don't have the facility it will hurt economic activity in the city and region, and that will hurt the tax base.

Thus we arrive at public subsidies for sports venues. In the middle there is a lot of hucksterism going on. You see bad decisions made, but they don't have to be bad decisions. There can be developments that a city or region benefits from in net tax dollars as well as economic activity.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
        Maybe not many, but people may decide to locate in the City instead of in the burbs. I think that's what can be influenced to a large degree.
        I don't think cities have all that much influence over this. A lot of core cities have had to deal with depopulation due to suburbanisation and its hard to believe they all just happened to have a long streak of ****ty mayors. And as I've pointed out before, the data indicates a lot of people left the metro entirely, not just Detroit proper. Core cities that have been growing, or that have returned to growth, have achieved this due to migration from outside the metro (or even the country).
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Depends on what you mean by a lot of people. From 1970 to 2010 the Metro area declined from 4,490,902 to 4,296,250 or 4.3%. The City dropped from 1,514,063 to 713,777 or 52.9%. Fixing Detroit's problems would start with turning off the fire hose spewing taxpayers to the burbs.

Of ocurse you are right in a general sense, but Detroit's problems are a specific example of severe regional imbalance.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Those numbers actually seem rather normal re core city/suburb ratio. Take Chicago: the population of the city proper declined 20% between 1970 and 2010, whereas that of the metro increased by 26%. Basically subtract ~30% in both and you have Detroit's evolution. The story of Detroit is not one of exceptional suburbanisation.

What the city should be focusing above all else is stimulating business. People can put up with potholes, eyesores and even crime to some extent if there's well paying jobs.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              You're the moron.

Hypoglycemia affects a person's ability to think clearly. (They would become more like you.) Relying on a person suffering from hypoglycemia to figure out how to fix their hypoglycemia is a recipe for disaster.

Hypoglycemia in those who are insulin dependent diabetics tends to come from inconsistent diet and exercise causing mismatches with their insulin doses. Relying on a "fix" of rapid, temporary increase in blood sugar such as you get from eating refined sugar is at best a last-ditch temporary stopgap. The real fix is consistent diet and exercise to helps maintain blood sugar stability. Not a 5 lbs bag of sugar.
              Don't forget- you're addressing two right wing dipsticks who aren't doctors or endocrinologists or nutritionists.

Their health solution when in a diabetic coma ?

Easy, go out and beg for a bag of cheap white sugar in a university campus.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                Those numbers actually seem rather normal re core city/suburb ratio. Take Chicago: the population of the city proper declined 20% between 1970 and 2010, whereas that of the metro increased by 26%. Basically subtract ~30% in both and you have Detroit's evolution. The story of Detroit is not one of exceptional suburbanisation.

I rather think it is.

So Detroit's problem is far worse than Chicago experienced, but isn't exceptional? Is there a case of near or worse decline than Detroit's? That would make it not exceptional maybe.

What the city should be focusing above all else is stimulating business. People can put up with potholes, eyesores and even crime to some extent if there's well paying jobs.
                That's true, but being livable is part of attracting and keeping business.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• It is somewhat a chicken and egg scenario. It's why I'm not optimistic.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Detroit does have one thing going for it, more like a cluster of things; there seems to be more than one very wealthy company or individual who have a nostalgic attraction to the area and who will pump private funds into development if they see glimmers of hope.

That, and cheap serviced land if they can get City politicians and bureaucrats out of the way.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• GM has committed to keeping their headquarters there as well (even if they don't build many cars there anymore).
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Yup. They are one of the wealthy companies with an attachment that goes a bit beyond $ and sense.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

• I think Canada should buy the place.

It would make our dumping charges cheaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                            I rather think it is.

So Detroit's problem is far worse than Chicago experienced, but isn't exceptional? Is there a case of near or worse decline than Detroit's? That would make it not exceptional maybe.
                            You misunderstand. Let's see it from another angle: in 1970 Detroit proper had 34% of the metro population. In 2010 it was 17%. In Chicago the numbers are 47% and 30% respectively. A shift of 17% in both cases. What the numbers indicate is that Detroitsters didn't flee to the suburbs to an unusual degree, they fled the entire metro area to an unusual degree. Assuming zero net migration Detroit metro should easily have had a million more inhabitants.

That's true, but being livable is part of attracting and keeping business.
                            Plenty of ****holes that are or have been thriving economic centres.

Comment

• If I were president, I would raise taxes, remove tax loopholes, and cut nearly all government spending. Then I'd Scrooge McDuck Xi Jinping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-14-26p11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	9095891
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                Michigan should raise taxes for residents of every county except Wayne County. Either it will revitalize Detroit or people will just leave Michigan.
                                Win-Win
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X